From:
BELMONT COUNTY RACEWAY PARK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 10:15:39 -0500
My one year old ferret had a benign bone tumor removed from her lower jaw
bone.  She was home with me for a few days and then the jaw bone broke where
the tumor was removed.  She had yet another surgery to remove the broken
piece and now has a lower jaw bone that is only connected on one side.  Her
teeth are out of line - one of her lower canines is outside of the upper
canine instead of both lower canines being inside.  I hand feed her duck
soup but she wiil not use a water bottle or take anything out of a bowl.
The surgeon and vet feel that I will be able to gradually get her on soft
food and then back to her chow over a period of about 5 weeks.  They also
want to clip the canine teeth so she can close her mouth and won't get
ulcers on her lips or inside her mouth.

Has anyone ever dealt with this kind of problem before?  I'm finding it hard
to believe that she will ever be able to eat chow again and lately have been
considering euthanasia.  I love my fert and want her to have every chance I
can give her but I wonder if I'm not fighting a losing battle.

Heartbroken and Emotionally Drained,

Barb