From:
Paula A Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 1996 19:06:24 -0700
Dear Ms  Macmorack,
I am writing you about the Humane Society of Tampa Bay's policies re:
ferrets.  I wanted to offer to foster/shelter/adopt any ferrets they might
have come in.

When I called (876-7138) I spoke with a sweet girl named Jennifer, who told
me their policy was to kill them as soon as received.  When I asked why, I
was told fear of rabies.

Every scientific study done within the last ten years vcerifies that a
ferret infected with rabies will die within seven days of exposure.  When I
asked why these animals were not simply quarantied for a week for
observation, I was told Jennifer did not know, that it was simply HS policy
& had been for many years.

I'm writing you to ask for help.  If Hillsborough County cannot be bothered
to read the studies done recently, then many ferrets may be being killed out
of ignorance.  Can we at least get a count of the dead animals & a statement
as to why they are being killed?  Ultimately, of course, my goal is to stop
this insane policy.  If TBHS can't provide for these animals, there are
others in Fla who can - me for one.

I live with three wonderful furslinkies myself, as well as a fat cat & a
Hurricane (Andrew) rescue dog.  I'm just a normal person who is shocked at
the senseless slaughter of the sweetest animals I know.  I will open my
home, my files & my animals to you, if you will investigate this & help me.
If this sort of thing is not within your purview, please refer me to someone
who would be interested.

Best wishes,
Paula Bryder
5514 Terrace Ct #3