From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 08:46:42 -0500
In Wednesday's FML post, I made several comments on the negative aspects
of de-clawing a ferret.  I selfishly forgot to mention that my data
substantially came from Merissa Gonzalez, my Vet at Hanover Animal
Hospital here in Mechanicsville Va (Route 301 next to the new post office,
804-746-4936).  I called to investigate de-clawing, and they fully advised
me on both sides of doing it and not doing it.  The overall weight fell
on the NOT DOING it side for the best interests of the animal's health.
Again, the claws on a ferret are a weight bearing portion of the foot,
would be akin to having your own toes removed.  The risk of bone infection
and permanent disfigurement where the animal would not be able to walk is
very real.  A good routine of nail trimming will solve much of the claw
issue.  Your vet will be glad to show you how to trim, as Merissa so kindly
showed me.

Remember, you can't have enough ferrets!  Ha!  The Showplace here in
Mechanicsville is having a SPCA show today, and I will take my carry
thingy... dang..  may save another ferret.  I don't need another one..
but hey..  can't have enough ferrets... The most entertainment you can
have for free!

Gordon, Byte-me and Nibble-ed.