From:
Shannon Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:26:48 -0400
I know this topic has probably been exhausted but I'd love some reassuring
email about introducing two previously loner ferrets.  In one corner we
have:

Bobby McFerret
Robust Male (poster child for Rabbit Creek Ferret Farm ****hello Linda!****)
approx 15 months at least 3.5 lbs
Not too fast but very determined and strong

In the facing corner we have:

Mia
Petite Female, MF ferret, undetermined age (she was a doorstep find for a
friend of mine, owner was never found) probably between 1.5 and 2 lbs
extremely fast and able to squeeze into impossible small escape routes

We are ferret sitting for Mia while her daddy is on vacation but I had high
hopes of keeping her if she and Bobby get along.  It is their second night
and so far Mia has a cut lower lip.  I don't think I've heard either of them
"scream" yet (they fight noisily but I haven't heard what I've read
described as "ear-splitting") but I can't stand it.  The cut on her lip is
really just a scratch, not actively bleeding but a scratch nonetheless.  She
does ok until he gets entirely on top of her and then when he grabs her he
whips his head from side to side.  I expected him to grab her and drag her
around a bit but I haven't seen that yet, is it just that she isn't allowing
him a good hold or is he really out to get her?

One possible positive sign is that when I first let them out together they
are calm enough, he noses around her and tries to lay his head on top of
her, the trouble only starts when she gets spooked and starts running from
him, the chase seems to trigger him to try to hurt her.  She seems genuinely
scared at times (not always) as evidenced by sudden loss of bowel control
and retreat to areas where bobby can't reach her.  Tonight after I noticed
the cut on her lip I cuddled her as much as she would allow, put her back in
her cage and let her rest while I actively played with bobby, then after
supper I let her out by herself, she seemed to have a really good time
exploring with out bobby constantly chasing her and he didn't seem too
upset, just rolled over and went to sleep.

So, should I just chill out or could he really hurt her?  I've already
switched their hammocks so they are sleeping in each other's scent.  Any
other suggestions and/or reassurances and/or warnings would be GREATLY
appreciated.

Also, I was looking for info on pet insurance for ferrets.  The only place
I've found that will do it is AniPals (www.anipals.com) but no one has
returned the messages I've left on their 800 number and their email address
doesn't seem to work, it bounces back to me.  Does anyone else know anything
about them?

Sorry for the length!

Shannon, Clint, Bobby McFerret and Mia