From:
Richard and Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:36:39 -0400
>For those of you who take the time to post a question on the FML and
>receive responses, why don't you give consideration to someone who takes
>time to respond?
>A simple "thank you for the information" is nice

I totally agree.  That's one of my pet peeves also.  At the very least,
just hit "reply" and say "thanks".  I also don't care for the posts to the
FML that say "thanks to all who sent personal replies, but I don't have
time to answer each of you personally".  If someone takes the time to
respond to you personally, you should respond back to them personally.  It
doesn't have to be long, just an acknowledgement that you got the
information and appreciate it.

Often, it takes considerable time to answer someone's question and it
really hacks me off not to even get a simple "thank you".  Someone posted
to the FML a week or so ago about some baby squirrels they had found.  I
know for a fact that at least 3 of us responded trying to help.  I referred
them to an excellent website and gave them a squirrel expert's email
address (with her permission).  I sure didn't get any response back.  Can't
speak for the other two people.  And, that's not the first time it's
happened.

If I'm ever remiss about this, please call me on the carpet.  My mother
raised me better than that.  It was sheer torture, when I was a child,
writing thank-you notes for gifts, but she made me do it.  Now, I sit down
immediately and write a short note.  She taught me well.  Enough Miss
Manners from this end.

As an aside, and to make this ferret related, Lily had a huge cyst removed
from her lower back on Friday.  My poor baby has a bald bottom, a 1 1/2"
incision and 7 stitches.  This is her 4th surgery in her short little life.
She'll be 6 next month.  It was sent to a pathologist just to make sure
she's OK.  Please wish her well.

Katharine