From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:02:06 -0500
In time I hope to send everyone who emailed regrets about our loss of Syd a
personal thank you.  But for now a public thank is all that I can do, this
way I only have to cry once.  I cannot express how touched I've been by
all the notes and cards that have come in, there are more than 25 emails
received.  Many of you have recently lost fuzzies of your own, my heart
goes out to each of you and my deepest appreciation for taking the time to
share in our loss while you are still grieving your own baby.  I've had
pets all of my life and have lost pets to illnesses and old age several
times.  But, I have never been a part of community like those involved with
ferrets.  I've been amazed time and time again over the past few years by
the bond ferret owners have with each other, and the outpour of compassion
and support expressed to me over the past few days has been a tremendous
means of comfort.  While I have family and friends who were supportive,
they were there for me because of me, not with the understanding of the
depth of loss for a fuzz.  I cannot explain why, but the loss of Syd has
been one of the most difficult losses I've experienced, even compared to
the loss of the dog I grew up and who slept with me every night or the
young kitten we lost two years ago to FIP.  I've loved and cried over each
animal we have lost, even my daughter's pet rat Lucy who had to be put
down at the ripe old rat age of 3 because of cancer.  But, to be honest, I
would pass on any other pet if we could only have one type, fuzzies have
definitely established themselves as a very necessary part of my life.
Much as there will always be a sofa in the living room and a sink in the
kitchen, there will always be a few fuzzies dragging something under that
sofa!

About the recent amount of sad stories.  For the person who is reading this
list and considering adopting a ferret.  Sad stories are a part of life, be
it the loss of a dog, cat, ferret or a person.  No one knows what time we
have, what illness or tragedy might be waiting down the road for us, so
live and love for today.  While my heart aches for the loss of Syd, I would
never in a thousand years trade the almost 18 months he lived with me.
No pet lives forever, some grace our lives for a much shorter time than
others, but what do we do?  Do we close ourselves down so we won't be hurt
tomorrow?  Maybe someone will, but for me, I will cherish the memories of
yesterday and enjoy today for this will be the memory of tomorrow.  Ferrets
are not a pet for everyone, but for those who fall under their spell, we
can tell you that the extreme amount of joy they bring everyday while here
is more than reward for the pain felt at their loss.

I certainly hope anyone reading this list who is considering adopting their
first fuzz understands that while many of us have been going through a
painful period with our fuzzies, the part to focus on is that the others on
this list are there to share those times with you.  I don't believe you can
find another group of pet owners that are so supportive and helpful.  I
know of very few times a call for help has went unanswered and even then
there are responses saying, I don't have the answer, but I am here if you
need anything.

Yes we've had more than our share of sad stories lately, but there have
also been times when the list was filled with our introductions, stories of
our first fuzz experience and goofy things our ferrets get us to do.  This
list represents life in its truest form, lots of laughs, but times of tears
also.  This group is like a family, we have shared funny stories, tragic
endings and put up with a few eccentric =91aunts and uncles'.

Thanks again to everyone who has been so supportive during this time for
us.  I hope each of you know who much your words have been of comfort to
me.

Hugs to everyone,

Jen and Gang