From:
Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:13:27 -0500
I know there is always ongoing discussions about Petco, and up until I
recently moved to Willow Grove, PA, I would not buy anything from Petco.
My boyfriend kept prompting me to go to the local Petco to check it out
because I forbid him to buy his cat food and litter from there!  So with
his urging, I went in and found a fairly acceptable store.  They do not use
shavings for their animals and the asistant manager is a ferret owner.  The
manager brings his daughter in to play with and handle the ferret kits, so
most of the fuzzies I've seen there have been pretty well socialized.  And
yes, this is where my daughter's baby Angel came from a month ago.

But, about 15 minutes away is another Petco that I refuse to walkin ever
again.  We stopped in one day when we were in the shopping center.  This
Petco was terrible, the cage was filthy, no water bottle, but a huge bowl
with litter and filth in the water.  I waited 15 minutes for the manager,
but he would not come out of the back room.

The point, each Petco is operated separately and there are some who
provided as appropriate as possible conditions while still being a pet
store.  I would much rather see Petco's get involved with a local shelter
for ferret adoptions, but hey, where is the money in that!  But, some Petco
do at least provide clean, healthy conditions with fresh water and food for
the fuzzies that are there.

Hugs to everyone,

Jen and Gang