From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:53:33 EST
I've returned from Virginia and am busy catching up on FML's and other
news groups.  I just read this post by Karen:

>From: Hey Hey Hey <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: EE, response to Dr. Williams
>Anyone who has ferrets with documented cases of EE may want to comment.
>Other people who would like to jump in, like those who have vaccine
>reactions, or those who think there ferrets may have EE - you're only
>going to muddy the waters here!
>
>Rinkydink has so far not had a vacine reaction.  However, she has only
>had one series of shots.  She is due for her second set as soon as
>Christmas is over and if she has a reaction I will report it to you all.

As you may remember, my Christopher has also been positively diagnosed with
EE.  As he is only 2 years old, he has only had his kit shots and his first
boosters.  He did not react to either set.  Unfortunately, he became ill
before getting his shots this year and has been too ill to get them in the
intervening 3 months.  I know how important it is to vaccinate and I would
like to get Chris his shots, but he is just not stable enough to risk it.
I will be talking with my vet this week when I take my foster girls in for
their shots.  Perhaps we can run a titer for Chris to see if he really
needs a booster.

And just to be a devil's advocate, I have had 8 of my ferrets vaccinated so
far this year and I've had 3 reactions.  One severe and instantaneous, one
mild and delayed by about half an hour, and one classic allergy reaction of
red, puffy, runny eyes that showed up 2 hours later.  The severe reaction
and the allergy reaction were ferrets that had both reacted once before
when given shots when they were just developing a cold (as yet unknown to
me tho).  They were the final shots in their kit series.  They did not
react the following year tho.  The third ferret to react is 4.5 yrs old and
was waiting for adrenal surgery so perhaps her system was a bit depressed
and thus allowed a reaction.

I don't know if this information is useful to anyone.  I just thought I'd
share it since others are saring their stats.

Take care all.

Anastasia Kidd
Plainfield, NJ