From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 15:26:56 -0500
>I have a hypothesis that has been mulling around in my head about the
>FSH/LH levels in pre-adrenal ferrets.  Would any of the early pregnancy
>tests on the market be a way to test for the elevated hormone levels in
>our ferrets as a possible determining of the condition?  I can see me
>now, running around on the floor on all fours chasing a ferret with one
>of the "pee-on" strips in my hand, going... "no no no, not on the floor,
>pee on this little thingy!" LOL!

I seem to recall Dr. Jerry Murray tackling that question once and there
was some reason it would not work but I can't recall details.

So, I will search.  As usual, when I find an interesting post that
can help FML members I will include that, and will put a pointer to
the answering post if I find it.

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7637
(some causes of adrenal disease under study -- notice that
increasingly the data is that the problem is caused by things that
increase the levels of LH and FSH including neutering, and/or not
enough darkness/not enough melatonin, each of these having that
effect, so when the two happen together the result is cumulative;
notice, too, that being whole (unneutered) changes many things
endocrinologically in marked fashions)

http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7883
(short and sweet on how the Lupron depot works)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG6389
and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG9239
and
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG6593
(treating)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=YG2545
(can look the same)
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG6649
(and diabetes)

Well, I can't find it.  Perhaps someone else can, or perhaps it was
a pers. com., or maybe I am misremembering.  Sorry about not finding
it.  At least I tried for you.  I did too much yesterday with the flu
so am fevering enough today that I really am not up to form for the
best searching.  Sorry.  Only human...

The short wavelengths (blue, green, etc) are the worst for disrupting
natural melatonin production so should NOT be used in a ferret room at
night.  It's best to use no light, but if you absolutely have to (such
as having a sick one who must be checked on several times a night) then
use red and also be absolutely sure to provide multiple ways to get out
of the light: cage covering if there is a cage, black covers that drape
over furniture they may sleep under, and bedding they can get into well
such as a deep and dark sleep sack.  (You can find some interesting
articles on light wavelengths and melatonin production with searches.
That colors like blue and green are the worst has been kn own for about
10 years orso.)

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan