Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 12:28:44 -0400
>From:    Mini Tafoya <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Miss ID'd Ferrets by animal services vets
>Both Jodi and I have tried unsuccessfully to identify these little
>creatures.... I even went as far and called game and fish and talked to
>an officer, and he was of no help.  He also went down the next day and
>identified them as long tail wiesels...wow...we knew that much...but that
>still doesn't identify them.... any help is greatly appreciated...

LONGTAIL WEASEL (Mustela frenata): Head and body: males, 9-10.5 in.;
females, 8-9 in.  Tail: males, 4-6 in.; females, 3-5 in.  Distinguished by
its long slender body, long neck, yellowish-white underparts, black tip on
tail and no whitish line down inside of hind leg.  In some parts of its
range (Southwest) has a white brindle across face and head is usually of a
darker brown than body.

Check out your Peterson Field Guide - Mammals for more info.

Sean D. Sawyer V'00
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine