From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:46:27 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Lauren Grunbichler <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HELP PLEASE
>We have just returned home from our veternarian.  Cleo, 18 month female has
>been diagnosed with diabetes.

Diabetes is very uncommon in ferrets.  The goal of the insulin treatment is
to have the blood sugar around 200.  So if the sugar is over 300, I start
insulin.  If around 200, I don't.  In-between is a judgement call depending
on the symptoms of the ferret.

>From:    "D. Alldredge" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret going bald??
>I am writing because we are concerned about our ferret, Mittens, who seems
>to be losing hair.  She has two bald spots, about the size of a quarter,
>one on the back of her shoulder, and one on her chest

Yes, the other ferret could be causing the hair loss.  The other
possibilities include adrenal disease, ringworm and other skin parasites.
Have your vet take a look.

>From:    Robert C Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Heartworm meds?

The recommendation is to use Heartgard by Merck.  It comes in a chewable
form.  The dose is 6 micrograms/kg of body weight once monthly.  Heartgard
comes in a 68 mcg dog chewable and now a 55 mcg cat chewable (I'm still
waiting for my order to arrive so I have not had any experience with
palatability of the cat size with ferrets).  You give 1/3 of a chewable once
monthly.

>From:    S Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Wobbly Ferret continued...
>Thanks for your speedy responses.  My e-mail box has been full to
>over-flowin

First give your vet the information from the FAQ.
My recommendations for ferrets with insulinoma:
1) surgically explore the pancreas and remove any obvious nodules and have
them biopsied. (Unfortunately most insulinomas have microscopically
metastasize by now). The removal of large tumors will a) make the ferret
more manageable medically and b)may reduce the symptoms short term.
2) if still hypoglycemic or when becomes hypoglycemic again post-surgery,
start on Prednisone. Start at a dose of 1/2 mg/kg once daily. You can
increase this up to 2 mg/kg as needed. In my experience once you reach 2
mg/kg you have obtained maximum benefit from Prednisone. Increasing the dose
won't do any more.
3) once maximum prednisone is reached, add diazoxide at the rate of 5
mg/ferret twice daily. You can increase this up to 30 mg/kg twice daily. Use
in conjunction with prednisone.
4) If cannot manage the hypogylcemia anymore, can surgically explore the
pancreas again. But you are now at the point of vastly diminishing prognosis.
On average, ferrets live about 473 days after diagnosis of insulinoma.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA