From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:12:25 -0400
The recent discussion of shelters, plus Troy Lynn's and Randy's
observations on the needs of shelters, lead me to think this might be
a good time to tell new folks about Support Our Shelters (S.O.S.).

Over three years ago I volunteered to run a kind of clearing house or
general fund for supporting the shelters on the FML.  I could see how hard
the shelters worked and how much they sacrificed financially to care for
the ferrets.  I found one idea for fund raising and asked for volunteers
to work with me.  I didn't think people would be as inclined to trust one
person with their money as they would to trust several who provided a form
of checks and balances.  Ela Heyn and Georgia Wood volunteered and we've
been working together ever since.

To support the shelters, we sell The Ferret Coloring Book and FERRET
WARRIOR bumper stickers through The Ferret Store (or from us directly).
Ela is the one who makes the cute ferret soaps, and Georgia is the one
who knits the little ferret afghans.  (See the advertising issue or write
to us for more info.) I put together the FML Shelter List that BIG will
be sending to you soon.

The FML Shelter List contains a little information about any FML shelter
that may care to be listed with us.  All the shelters hope you will come
to them when you want another ferret or know someone who does.  My goal
in creating the list is to encourage you to help one or more shelters in
whatever way you can.  They do so much!  Some of you might like to pick
one shelter and get involved with them.

If you don't want to make the decision yourself, I accept general donations
to the S.O.S. fund made out to Judith White.  Whenever we have about $100
we look for someone who desperately needs it.  At the end of each year we
try to help 10-20 shelters that have especially large vet bills.

So don't trash the shelter list (it will come in two parts) but save it for
when you may need it.  I only get it together to send it out about 3 times
a year.  And do consider supporting some of the people who care so well for
the ferrets that come to them.

Blessings
Judith <[log in to unmask]>
Georgia <[log in to unmask]>