From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2001 09:37:44 -0800
Sounds like your new vet is a good one.  He knew about the problems with
Fervac-D even though the staff didn't and took the proper precautions
(close observation), and followed up with a call to home.  This is good.

It's not uncommon for techs to administer shots... it's just Fervac-D
distemper vaccinations that have a high percentage of problems which is
odd enough that a clinic staff won't always remember it (or the no food
for ONLY FOUR hours before surgery thing).  Most clinics only have one or
maybe two techs that are "regulars".  The others come and go every year or
so.  It's really up to the ferret owner to make sure ferret vaccinations
are given with the proper precautions.  Don't expect the staff to know
everything the vet knows.

And ALWAYS Benedryl pre-treat at least THREE days before Fervac-D.  At
least FIVE days AND a shot of dexamethasone for a ferret that has
previously had a reaction.  (If this sounds quacky to your vet, have him
call my vet, Dr. Kimbrough at 903-757-5543.  Better the wake up call is
from another vet than a dead ferret.  This protocol reduced our reactions
from 20% to less than 1%.  All of the 1% reactions, usually ferrets that
had previous reactions, were very mild.)

The new ferret distemper vaccine from Merial is now available.  So far, we
haven't heard of any problems.  We plan to use it for our next round of
distemper vaccinations.  I "hear" that it costs about twice as much, but,
after multiple near death experiences, four times the cost is well worth
it.

If a clinic insists on "browbeating" you to do it "their" "usual" way, I
generally recommend discussing the problem with the vet who runs the
place.  If a change can't (or won't) be made or the vet is as "I know it
all" assured as the staff, I recommend the ferret owner find a vet that
is willing to keep up with the progress and advances in ferret specific
veterinary medicine and will listen to clients.  Don't read this as saying
the vet will try every quacky thing a pet owner has "heard about".  Just
as: a GOOD vet will listen, and verify or clarify your information before
proceeding.  It's always a good idea to have a "ferret expert" vet's
contact information with you to give to a new vet so that he/she has a
professional to consult with regarding whatever quacky sounding idea you
have.  A GOOD vet will make that phone call and will NOT be insulted.

Just as Sukie touched on "the blonde thing" there's another
"double-standard" out there that's a lot more dangerous...the "professional
beyond reproach" thing.  Vets are only human.  Don't confuse ego with
education.  Don't be intimidated by those documents hanging on the wall,
they deserve only respect, not worship.  Those documents mean he should be
able to explain things to you, or should at least try.  They mean he knows
how to learn, and should be willing to continue to learn... if he's not,
you're dealing with ego - not education.  (This applies to all professional
fields... not just vets.)

For those who are interested, we have a "Dear Veterinarian" letter that
we send to the current vets of people who adopt ferrets from us and would
like to continue using their current vet for their ferrets as well as
other pets.  It's a politely written non-know-it-all overview of the more
common ferret illnesses and includes professional contact and resource
information.  I will email it to you, or if you prefer, I will snail mail
it directly to your vet.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/