From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 13:14:07 -0400
Have someone else keep your ferrets for at least a few days to be safe.

If they are planning on using artificial pyrethrins those were actually
researched as a way to kill feral polecats and ferrets.
<http://www.doc.govt.nz/Publications/004~Science-and-Research/Science-
for-Conservation/PDF/Sfc127E.pdf>

Shoot, it has been removed.
It is/was:
Literature Search for Mustelid-Specific Toxins

Definitely a paper to find and keep, so ask a reference librarian to see
if you can find a hard copy somehow!  The work was done by Wickstrom and
Easton, New Zealand and Canadian experts

On page 61 of that paper note in relation to just skin exposure from
pyretrins by ferrets or polecats: disorientation, depression, weakness,
anorexia, vomiting, melena, icterus, etc.  straight through to coma
in symptoms.  It is hard on my eyes but when I increase the size it
is annoying to click back and forth between the windows so I did not
note all.

I do not have time to see how similar
<http://www.doc.govt.nz/Publications/004~Science-and-Research/Science-
for-Conservation/PDF/sfc237.pdf>
may be in content but it looks worth checking

See also:
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vettech__0204.pdf?docID=2083

DEFINITELY GET THE NAME OF THE SPECIFIC POISON BEING USED AND CALL ONE
OF THE ANIMAL POISON CONTROL CENTERS.  having had to help someone get
marrow transplant info for a ferret who used a Hartz flea product (info
in the FHL archives) I can say, "Better safe than sorry."

Here is some GENERAL poisoning prevention info of several types:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_poisonsafe

Also use the menu on your left there.

For example:
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_dyk
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_common
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants
http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_nontoxicplants

This is also a useful site:
http://www.avonvets.co.uk/2ndyr_hands/Poisons.html

Angell Memorial has begun putting up helpful articles now, too:
http://www.mspca.org/site/pp.asp?c=gtIUK4OSG&b=264356

If you ever need help recognizing a plant here is some aid for you:
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/poison/index.html

***** Here are the two U.S. animal poison control numbers. I do not
***** know ones elsewhere and can not recall them being posted here.
***** ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's emergency hotline at
*****  (888) 426-4435
***** Angell Memorial Animal Medical Center Pet Poison Hotline
*****  1-877-2ANGELL (1-877-226-4355)

The fee is per case so keep the case ID number.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org