From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 14:08:53 -0600
I'm going to do this posting early as last night, Gloria chewed me out for
staying up so late doing my FML thing.  I am supposed to be in bed for the
next three weeks until they take this P.I.C.C.  line out my arm.  Hey, I
can't help it.  I miss reading the FML since May 14 th when all of this
junk started happening to me.

Anyway, as shelter operator, we always ask our clients to come see us
before they go to the vet for something, no matter what the reason for
seeing the vet.  If it's is for vaccinations, we do distemper here for $10
for non club members and $5 for club members.For all other reasons we act
as a triage for the vets.  This accomplishes three things.

One, we are able to evaluate the condition of the ferret and send it to the
appropriate vet.  Some of my vets specialize in certain things and have
certain availability schedules.  We know these well and it helps us to
better serve our clients with not only timely arrivals and service by the
vets, but savings in vet cost to the client by having the right vet doing
what they do best and easiest.  Example, Dr Labonde and Dr. Bock have a
two week backup to get an appt.  It wouldn't be fair to send a client who
needed to get in right away to either one of them.  Also, Dr. Feldman is an
excellent orthopedic surgeon, Dr.Paula Bumpers is an excellent surgeon when
it comes to either tradtional surgery or adrenal cryo surgery, and for
those who can't afford some ot the others Dr.s charge for adrenal surgery,
Paula does the cryo surgery for $300-$350.  As we know our clients well,
especially after they have filled out our adoption application, we have a
tendency to helps them out when it comes to vet cost by sending them in the
right direction.

Secondly, we have seven clinics they we use now.  I have personally been to
each one, inspected, grilled the vets on their skills and costs, and have
them agree to stock Totally Ferret, and give all of our clients free first
time check-ups, aaand give a 10% discount to all of our club members.  They
are all strategically located in certain areas so as to provide geographic
availability to our clients.

Lastly, all of our clients truly say to the vet that Especially Ferrets
Inc.  just sent them to the particular vet and our vets like the thousands
of refferrals we send them each year.  It reinforces our relationships
with our vets, continues to saves us money as a shelter in vet care and at
Christmas time our vets remember us personally with personal perks.  As a
triage here, sometimes a cure is simple as most of you shelter operators
know, and we can sometimes buy some time for the client and the vet with a
little Maalox or Benadryl.  We have many clients who are grateful for what
we do here and remind us every day by coming back to us for their ferret
supplies.  It is how we survive at the level of care and the volumne of
ferrets we see here.

So for those of you aren't shelter operators, ask your local shelter first,
and for you shelter operators out there, Please don't practice vet
medicine, if in doubt call your vet, they usually are glad to give you safe
advice.

Hugs to all your fuzzies,
Ferretguy