From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 03:39:21 -0600
At our shelter, Especially Ferrets, we probably have to scruff 50-80
ferrets in any given day.  Nail clipping, meds, baths for some(biters),
combing out mats, teethbrushing, etc.  We teach all of our clients how to
properly scruff their ferret and most importantly PAY ATTENTION to this,
we teach them to scruff their ferret frequently and don't do anything but
scruff, give them a treat and give them some luvvies.  Usually, the only
time most ferrets get scruffed is when something they don't like is going
to happen to them, like some of the above mentioned necessary activities.
If you will spend the time just scruffing them and giving them some love
and put them down, they won't panic or struggle when you do have to scruff
them.  When scruffing, do not just hang them midair as I have seen many
people do.  I know, it's cute when they yawn and just act like they are
going to sleep, but actually it is a good way to damage your ferrets neck
or spine, especially with the larger males.  Try to support a little of
their weight on you.  You will get the feel of the right amount after
awhile and become quite proficient at it.  Also talk to them softly and
never shake them while scruffing.  Scruffing can make things easy and less
time consuming if done in this manner and in the end, make your ferret
happy to be scruffed and not mad or paranoid.

COMING SOON!  Ways to administer meds without FFBSKPPSOY pronounced
Fub-skip-soy ( fussing, fighting, biting, scratching, kicking, peeing,
pooping or spitting on you) from the experts, the girls who work in
Especially Ferrets Sick Room

Stay tuned and until next time, hugs to all the fuzzies around the world,

Ferretguy