From:
United Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 19:08:14 -0700
Now that the Layton Rescue is history, I am going back into my life of
solitude.  After years of being the Salt Lake City Advocate for Ferrets,
it has come to me that I made a mistake.  These animals should of never
been legalized.  They should of been banned for sale in any pet store and
restricted to only be owned by trained and educated individuals.  Not for
public dissemination.

As every dander in ferretland gets all ruffled up and this email address
is bombarded with hate mail, think about every ferret that has been
dropped off at any rescue.  Don't think about the four or seven ferrets
you have in your home, but put yourself in the place of every single
rescue/shelter out there.  We deal with the hundreds of ferrets that
are sold by unscrupuluous money hungry pet stores to every fad hoping
irresponsible idiot with money to spend on a new pet.  I am not directing
this towards the responsible pet/ferret owner, but the jerks who watch
beastmaster one to many times or sees you enjoying the company of your
weasel and decided that a ferret might last longer than the cat, dog,
gerbil, snake, fish, and plant they formerly had as a pet.  So do I
believe ferrets are for everyone, NOPE.  Do I believe skydiving is for
everyone, nope.  But the difference is Skydiving elimanates the wrong
ones much quicker and does not harm anyone else, unless you happen to be
standing in the wrong space.  Ferrets, can not defend themselves, they
cannot hire a lawyer to represent them, they have to endure the misuse
and abuse given to them by these idiots.

So please think about the lesson I have learned when you fight for your
animals legality.  I really believe more money should be spent on
protecting all domestic animals and even more prosecuting igorant
exploiters of the innocence of animals.

Rick