From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 13:28:56 -0400
1. I got a video the other day on Black-Footed Ferrets (BFFs).  It is
about 57 minutes long.  It is an account of the early period (-1986 or
so) of the BFFs rediscovery and subsequent conservation attempts.

The were a couple of things in particular that I liked.  The
descriptions of how BFF's dig and the signs left by such digging are
very much like European domestic ferrets.  They have some video of the
BFFs dancing the Weasel Wardance, also very much like European
domestic ferrets.

I thought it was a bit short, and I would've like a bit more footage
of the ferrets (but I realize that they had to go out in the desert
and find and film them rather than film them at a zoo).

It is (c) 1986 National Audobon Society and TBS productions,
distributed by Vestron Video.  ISBN is 0-8051-0678-2, and perhaps the
Vestron number is 5264.

2. Congratulations to Michelle.  I am *certainly* no expert, but here
are my feelings.  I would re-invite the lady from the Humane society
to come and see how responsible and dedicated ferret people take care
of ferrets (so she can have some basis for discussion).  If she
declines again, then one of your questions on the show to her could be
why won't she come and see your companions.  I don't keep my ferrets
in a cage, and I think there are a lot of FML'ers who don't as well.
I would try to keep calm in dealing with her.  Does she think that
dogs and cats are wild animals?  Good facts can help you establish
that ferrets are domesticated.  If she is against keeping dogs and
cats, that would place her outside the mainstream.  Call the people at
ImRab (or whatever) to get data on rabies vaccinations, and find out
how many cases of rabies have been reported in ferrets, and how those
ones got the rabies.  If she asks biased questions, you might point
out calmly that they are biased, and then answer ("Let's discuss how
mean-spirited ferrets are" vs. "Let's discuss the disposition of
ferrets").  I might also tell some cute ferret stories if I got the
chance.  Make the distinction between BFFs and domestic ferrets (some
people might not know there is a distinction).

I would definitely call Fara Shimbo or some such at FURO to get some
facts and their sources (FURO is 910 342 7748 or 303 530 9246, I
think).  I was watching a short news report on Florida and sugar
pollution, and some guy came on briefly and stated 3 facts, like this
1, 2, 3.  I'm not sure of the facts, but the fact that he was so
organized and calmly ready with information made him very effective in
my eyes (his organization made me receptive to evaluate the argument).
If he had sources as well, that would be very persuasive.

Todd Cromwell
(719) 599-3611