From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 1994 19:46:50 -0400
On collars: a lot of people seem to use normal pet collars, but I use
ball chain (a trick that two ferret-lovin' friends taught me).  The
ball chain seems to stay on well, as well as being small enough for a
ferret and highly adjustable.  Dors (24 oz female) can use lamp pull
chain, but Seldon (46 oz male) might break that gauge, so for him I
use toilet ball chain (about twice as heavy).  If they get out of the
ball chain collar, you cut it one ball smaller (but never so small
that your slinky couldn't pull out of it if he/she had to).  You can
easily attach a small bell and id tag to such a collar using
well-trimmed wire.  I got very small (but loud) bells from
"Worldbeads" in Seattle, and little id tags, engraved, from Sears here
in Co Springs.

On clipping nails: I usually clip more than once; once not too close
for a rough cut, then once or twice more, closer; maybe this will
help.  Make sure to do it in a strong light.  I can do Dors and Seldon
just by turning them on their backs and clipping away, but you might
try the ferretone trick (putting ferretone on their belly just before
claw clipping) if yours struggle a lot (maybe they'll move less if
happily absorbed in sweet sticky stuff).

On carrots: I'm not sure, but you might have to watch feeding carrots
to Rascal and Sable.  I'm not a vet, but a ferret shelter owner in AZ
told me she's seen ferrets develop intestinal blockages due to large
lumps of undigested carrot.  Perhaps Dr. Williams or Dr. Brown knows
whether ferrets can digest carrots.

On carpet sharks in general: I thought of a good one-line description
of their lives: "We're having a great time and we're glad you could
join the party."

Todd Cromwell
(719) 599-3611