From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 12:07:33 -0500
Risa, you are right.  In many places in the country we are actually
likely long past the time when local animal shelters should have been
taught about ferrets.  I know that I have heard of some people here who
have worked up friendly relationships with their area shelters and
provided the guidance and materials needed.  Hopefully, some of those
folks will step forward and tell everyone what worked and what did not so
that other locations have a chance to learn better how to do it rather
than having to completely reinvent the wheel.

Sometimes part of the problem is that too many people expect others to
do the work, and often enough they expect the people who are already
doing more than their share to be the ones to do it.  Everyone has a
life outside ferretdom...

Nicotine withdrawal:
maybe but likely not.  People who live with side stream smoke, even from
multiple chain smokers do not develop that when they get away from it.

The change in smells might cause a tendency to not eat, though, if the
smells seem too different.  Then again, if the ferret recognizes the
smell of the food, then being able to smell better might actually
increase the appetite.

Nicotine can be poisonous to members of Carnivora.  If tempted to add it
check first with the treating vet and the animal poison control places.

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/