From:
Dave Allyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1996 16:42:57 -0600
First, A bit of history on the situation.  My Girlfriend works in a pet
shop.  In the many hours I have spent in there, I have come to love ferrets.
I do not have one as yet.  A guy called the place she works, and said " I
was working on the engine of my car, and this thing that looked like a small
raccon came flying out and ran up my pant-leg.  I got it out, and it seemed
to be tame.  I realized it was a baby ferret.  It fits in the palm of my
hand, and one of my neighbors said it was about 8 weeks old.  We can't keep
it, and none of the neighbors will take it, will you?" My GF told him that
it is not the policy to buy animals from the public, but knowing my love for
them, (and hers too) she said that she would personally take it if he wanted
to give it to her.  He agreed.  A few hours later he came in with a box that
was taped shut, had some holes punched in the sides.  This contained the
ferret.  excpecting a small baby, we realized that what was to be an 8-week
old "small enough to fit in the palm of your hand" ferret was alot closer to
a foot in length and (we guess) closer to 5 or 6 monthes.  Her boss laughed,
then wondered why, if it has been inside a car engine, there was no grease
or oil on him.  He smelled just a bit, so he had not been recently bathed.

He is a light cinnimon color, and has two small dots tattooed into his right
ear.  (Marshal right?)  He is very playfull, doesn't bite, diggs in
everything, and absolutely HATES faritone.  He is pretty skinny, and wasn't
eating while I was with him (about 2 hours) but acted very sweet towards
everyone he met.  He never made a sound, and never even looked like he
wanted to bite anyone.

I am trying to let my folks let me keep him, but my mother has alergies.  My
GF's mom won't let her keep any more animals (she has two dogs, gerbals,
fish, and hamsters) so that is not much of a possibility either.  She has a
large Rabit cage from when she used to raise rabbits that I could keep him
in.  Assuming I cannot talk my folks in letting me keep him, I may need to
find him a good home really quick.  I live south of Chicago about an hour
(around Kanakee for those who know the area)  From the pet store I know
(correct me if I am wrong)  that the two dots mean Marshal, and therefore
his is nutered and first shots given correct?  I have heard that they need
additional shots when they are about 6 monthes old.  Is that correct?  If
so, is there anyway to know if those shots have been given, if not, can
additional shots hurt him?

I apologise for the lenth of the letter, but any advice or help you could
give me would be greatly apreciated.  Email is:  [log in to unmask]  or leave
repley on here.   Thank you very much.