From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 12:00:10 -0400
Well, Noodle (poor guy) went back to the vet, and had another blood panel
done, an xray, a lung aspiration, and a heartworm test done.  The heartworm
came back negative, the lung aspirate came back with no signs of bacteria or
yeast, the xray came back with no signs of an enlarged heart or any masses
in the abdomen, BUT there were 'light densities' shown on the lungs.  The
blood panel showed that Noodle is slightly anemic (rbc under 30%) and that
his globulin level is elevated (proteins involved w/immune system).  WBC is
not elevated, however.  The vet said this *likely* meant whatever it was, it
wasn't bacterial, but was possibly viral, if it was an infection.  Also, the
panel showed immature rbc's, meaning he's producing more blood to cover for
what's being lost.

So, the vet is concerned about the following things - a slight bleeding
problem in the digestive system, possibly an ulcer, causing the anemia
levels and the poor health.  Second, a foreign body lodged in the system
somewhere causing the bleeding (Noodle has never eaten anything 'foreign' to
my knowledge - he will chew rubber bits OFF of phones and remotes but he's
never eaten them!  odd).  In both cases, the vet wants to do an exploratory.
Third, megaesophagus resulting in pneumonia, but we'd have to do an
ultrasound to rule this out.  Fourth, and very remotely, the heartworm test
was a false negative.  Again, an ultrasound to rule this out.

So, and I have't been to pick him up yet so I don't know specifically what
meds, Noodle's going to get TWO antibiotics, one short term, one long term,
and I also have to give him Pepto.  Apparently one of the antibiotics is
heinous-tasting.  If the antibiotics don't improve him we go back in for the
exploratory.  Well, we go back in.  He gets the exploratory.  I merely pay
for it.

I guess if it's a gastroenteritis-caused ulcer that might explain the slight
bounce back I saw when he got a short course of amoxi.  Poor Noodle was
*very* good at the vet's, too - sweet, curious, cute, and well-behaved.  Not
like himself at all. *grin*

I haven't noticed any significant change in his stool that would indicate a
bleeding ulcer, but based on the level of anemia it's not a very large
amount of blood loss.  Noodle's symptoms again are: excessive sleepiness,
ie, he will wake up, come out to check out what's going on, hop around a
tiny bit, then go back to sleep; weight loss, about 1 oz/2 weeks or so; a
slight 'hork'ing noise where it sounds like he's trying to clear something
from this throat - he extends his head and wheezes raspily through his nose.
I can't imitate this sound - it's very unique.  And finally, he's alert when
he is awake, friendly, eats, drinks, and poops normally to the best of my
knowledge.  He just doesn't play.  He's curious and inquisitive, he just
tires out easily.

Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters