Date:
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 23:59:10 -0700
Thank heavens for contacts... checked out the information on the legality
of ferrets in my area of New Zealand (I had been told they were illegal
where I live) and I found an interesting piece of information.  One I knew
- that it's legal to keep 3 ferrets in New Zealand without a permit.  The
second, I just learned today.  That no council within NZ can contradict the
national law regarding the ownership of ferrets.  In other words, in no
area of New Zealand are ferrets ILLEGAL.  They've tried, and apparently
tried very hard, in the Waikato region (central North Island) but ferrets
are still very legal in every area of New Zealand.

Now... all we have to do is make the local government and loudmouths
understand that ferrets aren't rogue animals that will attack everyone and
everything in sight... At least we're lucky in that the publicity in New
Zealand of late has been predominantly positive :o) Now, my babies can come
out of hiding (okay, not so hidden) and I can start pushing for more info on
ferrets again... that is, once I get home!

Sam