From:
Laura Spearman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 06:44:39 -0800
Hi All-

Someone asked for some suggestions for a Midwest Cage Conversion.  This is
what my husband and I did.  We have the large midwest cat pen that comes
only with two shelves and no ramps.

First we took measurements then went to Home Depot and bought a large
sheet of plywood.  We had them cut us out three rectangles by our
measurements of the cage.  Then we got a couple of really long narrow
strips of wood and had them cut so that they could support the floors.
We also got some self adhesive floor tiles.

On each floor I got our hand saw out and cut out a square hole on the side
(so that the ferts could get up to the next level).  I put the floor tile
down on it.  We positioned the floors in the cage and between two of them
where the cut out hole is, we placed one of the shelves that came with the
cage.  This way the ferts could reach the holes easily.  No ramps taking
up any space.

I bought some nice heavy wooven rugs that are the same size as the
homemade floors and put them down to make the cage cozy.  The top floor
is hard to reach into because of the way the doors are positioned, but
when i need to get their stuff out to wash it, I use a backscratcher
thingy to pull it out!!

They love their cage and they actually hang out in there when they have
free roam of the downstairs!!

On to rental properties.  I was surprised when we moved into our
apartment.  No dogs allowed only cats is what I was told.  So I said,
"would you consider allowing a ferret?"  They said yes!!  I had to pay a
$300.00 deposit on my cat plus $10.00 a month "pet rent" for her.  But no
deposit or rent for my four ferrets.  I guess I was lucky to find this
great place.  We keep our ferrets downstairs only because our upstairs
has carpeting that they would surely rip up.  The downstairs is sealed
concrete (we live in a loft).  So I don't see us losing any of our deposit
because of our ferrets!!

Our leasing agent is always asking us how our ferrets are doing.  She just
told me yesterday that a lady just moved in who has a ferret!!  I can't
wait to meet her!!

Anyways, if anyone wants a look at my ferts cage, just let me know.

Hugs to all,

Laura Spearman
Jakob, Bailey, Abigail, & Elliot