From:
Laura Spearman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2001 08:18:06 -0700
Hi All,

I've been reading a lot of discussion over litter in the past couple of
weeks and wanted to put my 2 cents in on the matter.  Keep in mind that I
have four ferrets and one cage.

I have used it all.  Regular clay litter, feline pine, two or three
different brands of newspaper litter.  My ferrets hated the litter box.
No matter how dirty or how clean it was.  They always used the bathroom
next to it.  They would dump it over.  I was cleaning up litter more than
poop.  Then they would track it all over the house.

Needless to say, it sucked!!!

So I did what our local ferret shelter does.  I said goodbye to litter
boxes and to litter entirely and said hello to newspaper.

First off, its free.  I can get tons of it at our local recycling center.
They let me have it.

Second off, its easy to clean up.  Just roll it up before i go to bed
everynight and put more down.

Then people will say that it does nothing for the smell.  That litter
helps absorb the smell.

Well that is true, so this is what i do.  I use marshall farms bi-oder.
It is wonderful.  I have a small air filter that i run overnight 2 or 3
times a week.  I wash their bedding 2 or 3 times a week.

My ferrets and my house do not smell like ferrets.  I dont remember the
last time i bathed my ferrets (they do get weekly ear cleaning and nail
clipping).

They have not had an accident since we started this.  They always use the
newspaper.  Their cage is a big midwest cat pen with 4 homemade complete
levels.  Last night my little girl abby woke up and made her way all the
way down to the bottom to use the bathroom then all the way back up to the
top to go back to sleep.

This is not for everyone, every ferret is different.  Some will play with
the paper and shred it.  Some will completely ignore it.

So, if you have had it with the litter thing, give it a try.  Its just
something different and it just so happened to work wonders for us!!

Hugs to all,

Laura
Jakob, Bailey, Abigail, & Elliot