From:
Paula Bryder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:34:20 -0500
Hi Ferreteers,
Thanks to all for your patience waiting for news.  The nine Tampa ferrets
are doing very well.  This morning they each took a treat from my hand
without a nip or a bite.  Tonight my friend Eli & I cleaned all their cages
and gave them each hugs and skritches as they were being moved.  Again no
bites.  Later tonight, they all got another treat - no bites.  There's no
doubt, some are nippy.  There's also no doubt they are responding very well
to treats, cuddles, skritches, and hugs.  I fully expect to have the
adoption process under way by the start of next week.  This will take time,
as so many good people have expressed interest, but the welfare of the
ferrets is our main concern.  They have never lived with people, they've
lived in an open air shed all their lives, and it will take some time & some
special people - you guys!  Their poops have become what I consider normal -
firm, darker in color, not grainy any more.  Some use the litter box, and
some poop wherever, but there's reason to believe they'll figure it out.
They eat well (& lots!).  They sleep hard & cuddle close to each other.

My sable Rikki spent the day in my large cage with the 2 sweet male albinos.
When I came home to check on them all, he was in the middle of the two of
them, paws up, snoring away.

These guys are beautiful, evidently healthy - a random heartworm test will
be done in Gainesville, and we'll know more.  I have come to think of this
as an evacuation instead of a rescue - Carin had the right name!

I will write more this weekend, but I wanted to let you know that the Tampa
crowd is making progress toward being adopted to loving new homes.  They are
beautiful, and I expect to have photos early this week for you to see how
lovely they truly are.

Hugs to you all, and keep those good thoughts and well wishes coming -
they're paying off.  Write me for adoption info, or susie sherman at

Ferret hugs,
Paula