Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:47:32 -0400
After visiting my psychologist, physician, pastor and lawyer, I feel that
I am ready in mind, body and spirit to post my comments on this on-going
subject of Marshall Farm ferrets.

I must agree with Sukie on MF not being the worst nor the best of ferret
breeders.  However, they are the largest ferret breeder in the US.  Of
the 11 ferrets who have been or are with me, there have only been two who
did not bear the MF tatoos.  I wouldn't have traded any of them for the
world.  Each one has been a loving gentle fuzzie, who has brought much
happiness into my life.  This does not answer the problem of numbers of
ferrets bred and sold in pet stores throughout the world.

The problem with an over abundance of ferrets is a multi-level problem
and one that should be addressed at all levels and not just with the
breeders.  I would consider a more concentrated approach that involves
discussion with MF, pet stores and state agencies regarding the problems
that face not only ferret shelters, but the entire ferret community.
Approaching each of these groups with shelter statistics and financial
expenditures would be a much more logical plan than just writing letters
of anger and discontent.  MF, pet stores and state agencies are
businesses, as is a shelter, and a business approach would produce far
better results than a stack of letters from angry ferret owners.

Rather than attacking MF for breeding ferrets for sale, I am more
inclined to address the problem of over abundance of ferrets with the pet
stores.  I would rather use my time to discuss with the regional buyer of
the larger pet store chains the over-crowded conditions in the shelter
along with the number of abandoned and abused ferrets taken in.  With
shelter statistics in hand, I feel you have a better chance of getting
the pet stores to reduce the number of ferrets ordered for sale in a
given period.  Why not ask them to work with you until things are
improved with both the selling procedures and the shelter numbers?  It
is my opinion that MF's numbers are driven by the number of ferrets
purchased for sale by pet stores and this could be controlled by the pet
stores themselves, with some input from the area shelters.

Working to have the law changed regarding the sale of ferrets in pet
stores in your state is an overwhelming project, but no more so than
attempting to get MF to decrease the number of kits produced in a year.
Originally, when MaFF was working to get ferret ownership legalized in
Mass., there was a condition that stated that ferrets would not be sold
in pet stores.  However, in the 11th hour, that condition was stricken
from the law.  MaFF was unaware of this until it was too late to work on
getting the condition put back into the law.  Now, we have ferrets being
sold in pet stores and I personally feel that the effort to get this
changed would do more good for the state of Mass.  than trying to fight
with MF about breeding too many ferrets.

All of the above are just my opinions and how I feel we at MaFF will
begin to address our problem with over-crowding in the shelter and the
need for pet stores to begin to establish more responsible ordering
policies.  We are approaching crisis status and it is time to take a
more serious approach to the number of ferrets appearing on Craig's
List, wandering the streets of Mass. or being dumped in a cemetery.

Phyllis Spy
President, MaFF