From:
Megan Dahlem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 16:09:08 -0700
After all that debate, I'm still curious about a few things... Just skip
this post if you're offended by the topic.

I understand the health benefits, etc.  The problem that I have found is
that I can't seem to find any "pre-killed" mice.  There are plenty of
stores that offer snake food or feeder mice, but it is all live.

My ferrets are all completely happy with eating meat.  They get the canned
ferret or cat foods combined with meat baby foods in addition to their
regular kibble.  Chicken bones, cooked chicken and other meat is offered
when it is cooked.  None of them have had an experience with killing their
own food that I know of but between the eight, I'm sure that one of them
will know what to do.  If not, what do I do with the mouse?  Do I kill it
and try again (what would be the most humane way to do this?)?  Am I
expected to keep it as a pet?  Or can it just be released?

Has anyone ever had a problem with the mouse injuring the ferret?  Are
there any bizarre diseases that can be passed from a mouse deamed snake
food to a ferret (vaccinated, of course)?

***

Oh, by the way...

Feeding raw meat DOES NOT make them more agressive.  All learn from their
environment.  If taught to attack, the animal will do so without question.

- Megan

http://students.washington.edu/~mdahlem/furo/
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...