From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:09:34 -0400
>Please call Marshall Farms with your questions and see if they provide
>you with accurate information.  That is the only way for you to draw a
>fair conclusion.
>
>As far as ferret temperament, etc....I have not found MF ferrets to be
>any more OR less friendly than any other ferrets (small breeders or large
>farms).  Whatever the origin of your ferrets, enjoy!  Ferrets are fabulous!

__________
I contacted Marshall farms via e-mail to ask about their practices in
selling ferrets to labs.  I specifically asked about sold for fur, as
someone accused them of on the FML,and what safeguards are in place to
insure the ferrets go to licensed, approved labs- and I got a response
the next day, and I was pleased in the answers and the quick response
that I got.

I know there are many problems at MF, mostly due to the size of the
facility, and the shipping.  I also don't see a problem with the
requirement of feeding their food the first year in order to keep the
warranty valid- people have posted all they require is a proof of purchase
off a bag in order to prove it is fed, and anyone can buy a bag once at any
time to fulfill this requirement.  There is no way to prove what the ferret
eats anyway,unless they come to your house and check.

So, this debate will never end, but I was not impressed by all those
Internet sites against MF, since I couldn't find any valid references to
check for myself the claims-in fact most led back to older inspection
reports, or PETA claims.

I will never buy a pet shop ferret again, no need, I have many many that
come as rescues in need of a home- but I would recommend going to a
shelter for your next ferret- they even get in kits every so often.

Patty

p.s.  Most "supporters"of MF, have never said they are perfect or without
problems, just that they aren't as big a monster as others would lead you
to believe,and that some of the information posted about them is false
and why.