From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:45:53 -0400
Judith wrote:
>... I think the reason all this hits our feelings a bit hard is not only
>that we don't want people to think we would misuse their donations.  It's
>also that we do a lot of work that brings in no money, and we thought that
>said a lot about our intentions.

The volunteers who make SOS work are giving so much of their time and I
would bet money as well to do this, and not asking for anything in return.

It would be nice to show appreciation to them, and too bad some people are
questioning their integrity.  I know Ela personally and have seen her in
action, she donates so much to SOS, as well as, helping in fund raising
for MetroFerret, like she didn't have enough to do with SOS.  It is about
the ferrets to her, and that is all.

I think people have a right to ask where their money goes, but don't need
to make accusations that start unfounded rumors.  I also don't think
people realize that a small scale club or charity that raises money is not
bringing in a lot of money, and the members are usually the ones that end
up donating a lot of their time, money, stamps, phone calls, etc more than
anything else.  At least that is the way it is for me in the club I am in.

Since there are so many shelters on the FML list that all could use money,
I think another problem is that there isn't enough money to go around, and
SOS has to turn down requests based on available funds, number of ferrets
in shelter, outstanding bills, etc.  so I am sure there will be some
unhappy people that will hold a grudge against SOS for turning them down,
that is just speculation on my part.

SOS has always said they just want people to start giving more to
shelters, and are trying to make that as easy as possible for some people.
They are just as happy if the money goes directly to the shelter or rescue,
the point is to just give if you can.

I really don't understand why anyone would not give to the Utah ferret
rescue because of something they don't like about SOS, that is beyond my
comprehension.  I figure that person is not as selfless as they want
others to believe, and maybe likes the power that comes with making a
donation, or withholding a donation?  Just a guess.

Patty