Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 07:21:26 -0400
Ed,

Last year, I remember that you advocated a technique to "build trust" in
your ferret that basically involved suffocating the animal with its
harness for a brief period of time.  That kind of made me wonder.

Then earlier this year, I remember that you implied that Totally Ferret
was made of actual ferrets.  That made me wonder, too.

Now, you are advocating that people put a household insecticide which is
labelled as POISONOUS to animals directly on their pets.  Well, I'm still
wondering.

In answer to your post:
>Remember that I emphasized that only the 5% carbaryl powder be used for
>heavy flea infestation control and that any sensible person who uses an
>insecticide has got enough 'twixt his ears to read the handling instructions
>on the container before using the flea powder.

Ed, carbyrl (Sevin) is not a "flea powder".  It is a household lawn and
garden insecticide, sold in the garden section of hardware stores.  It is
labelled as HAZARDOUS to domestic animals.  When I called the manufacturer
of Sevin to ask them about applying it to pets, they were aghast that this
would occur to anyone.  It's for killing insects in your garden.

>I should hope that the FML readers will realize your negativity on this
>subject is straight out of the literature

Actually, the literature my "negativity" came out of was:

1) a major medical encyclopedia (Mosby's)
2) and the *manufacturer* of Sevin's own label warnings (from the MSDS)

>and not based one wit on your personal experience.

I should hope not.  I don't spray Raid on my pets, either .. but I wouldn't
hesitate to tell people that it's a bad idea.

>Further not once in your alarmist discourse is the word ferret ever
>mentioned.  What you have posted applies to human beings and not ferrets
>... am I correct?

Of course, ferrets aren't mentioned!  Sevin is not a flea powder for pets,
Ed ... it's a household insect killer.  The manufacturer puts a label on it
telling you it is POISONOUS to pets!

>By the way, what do you use?  You didn't say.

Nothing.  We are lucky enough not to have fleas here.

- Ela

   (000)___(000)        Ela Heyn
   ======@======    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/5483