From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:32:13 -0400
Just a reminder:

At this point there are NO studies on the hypotheses Bob mentioned.  Bob
was straight-forward about them being hypotheses, of course, but I think
that some people reading afterward forgot.  On the surface it does make
perfect sense that a diet close to the wild diet of the ancestors is the
safest; for most humans a diet high in vegetables and fruits but lower in
animal protein and way lower in animal fats than the current typical
American diet is certainly medically better than the one most of us were
raised to eat.  It is logical that this would also be the case for other
species, but DO remember that it has NOT been specifically studied, so
while it might very well be great for maintaining either a better quality
of life, or a better quantity, or both (maybe for some or maybe for all),
it could alternatively turn out in studies to not be different from some
types of kibbles.  It's good (and possibly important if it turns out to be
the norm) to hear incidental evidence that indicates that it improves
quality of life for ferrets with insulinoma when the surgical approach with
documented best results (removal of nodes and of some of the surrounding
tissue) in not an option.  I hope it continues to show itself as something
which helps decrease symptoms, and it would be even more wonderful if it
slows the illness or has preventative effects.  Still, it can't be
automatically assumed that these will be the actual results.  That said, in
addition to kibble we've always shared things like marrow, pulverized bone
(Can't bring myself to give chunks so I've always powdered it.), skin,
organs, cartilage, etc.  -- though we have NEVER been able to get Jumper to
take these in any form (except in kibble), and except for Meeteetse loving
fatty skin chunks which just slide right down we've had to puree it for the
others.  We feel it's a healthy and well loved treat, so just in that it is
a quality of life addition.  Do remember, though, that a hypothesis is NOT
the same as KNOWING that something has a proven value, so don't expect
miracles, but do note whatever changes you encounter.  (Our biggest one is
that Meeteetse gets fatter with it given how she snarfs it up.  ;-) )

IN yesterday's FML:
>IS 13 AN UNLUCKY NUMBER ??

Depends on the culture.  There might be more people who consider 4 an
unlucky number than 13.  Ferrets consider any low number unlucky because
they want more raisins, but otherwise, Steve and I don't think the number
will bother them.  Around here anything past four is just "more-more".
(It always amazes me when some people can deal with so many; for providing
enough of our time, given the other demands, we find that 6 seems to be
pretty much ideal for Steve and I.  (If we didn't have many, many years of
ferret experience I am sure the number would be lower to optimize things
for the furries.  Some people just plain can do it, though; I suspect they
don't sleep.  Is that the trick?  ;-p <G> .

We sometimes called the chuckle a "cluck" early on but Steve and I got
blasted by people who didn't want folks comparing any aspect of their
ferrets to chickens.  About then another FML reader coined the word "Dook";
wish I could remember who came up with that, and who came up with
"Speedbump" for the flat down time way back when.  (The second was
independently reinvented later by a newer reader if I recall right.)