From:
Mary & Robert June <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:10:05 -0800
Hi Darlene!

I'm sure everyone and their brother's ferret will post about this, but my
vet told me, and several articles I've read have said that human colds and
flues can be transferred to ferrets and back to us again.  With those nasty
viruses flying, we have a strict rule in our house that anyone who wants to
handle the fuzzies after being out in the big, bad world, must wash their
hands first, and we avoid kissing the babies when we're sick (which is a
bummer, cause everyone knows ferret kisses are the best medicine!).  When
our little one got her first cold (from us, cause we didn't know that we
could give it to her), she was hacking and miserable.  We took her to the
vet - I think she gave us some antibiotics to make us feel better even if
it wouldn't help against the virus.  On the vet's recommendation we kept
her warm, and gave her pedialite - I'm not sure how much though - you might
want to ask your vet about that (our ferret likes the orange kind...:) ).
She wouldn't even put her nose to any baby food (which I had read to try)-
but the vet recommended we put warm water in her regular food and mash it
up, and she ate that readily.  We kept regular food in her cage, then fed
her the mush throughout the day.

As for Waardensburg - to quote "Ferrets For Dummies" (I *love* this book):
"Waardensbug Syndrome is a ferret condition that genetically links the
white fur on the head to deafness." The author goes on to say that "dark
eyed whites, pandas, and shetlands/blazes are often prone to this
deafness,... though this isn't always the case." As for the Marshall
question I won't even touch that - I wouldn't have a clue.  Hopefully
someone out there knows.

And as for all of you who have lost ferrets - I'm sorry to hear it.  Your
stories are wonderful though, and even though they make me sob sometimes
(we have a 6 year old adrenal male who is slowly winding down), it really
is a comfort to know that someone out there understands.  Other large pet
owners don't - they don't seem to understand that size is not directly
proportional to the amount of love offered.

Oh, and if I haven't gone on for too long... I'm very sorry to hear about
the lady who lost her baby to the dishwasher.  I've heard so many stories
like that, we keep ours out of kitchen and bathroom, and no death chairs
for us (this is *not*, I repeat *not* a flame, just a lead in to my
question), I'm just wondering, are we too paranoid?  My husband and I
restrict our babies to a ferret proof (as much as that is possible anyway)
living room.  It's a big space, and there are lots of toys but.... And as
for them sleeping with us - I would be terrified we'd squish them.  Any
opinions????

Mary
Furmommy of Spawn, Freya, Trinity and Artemis