From:
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 1998 19:42:44 -0700
From:    Melissa Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Ferrets/Weasels

>... Yes a ferret and a weasel are in the same family.  Techically it isn't
>"the weasel family".  It is Mustelidea.

Yes, but no...  mustelids are the "weasel-like" family.  Calling it the
weasel family isn't that wrong.  Mustelid is very much like mustela for a
reason.

>The weasel is the most known comparison, but other animals such as minks,
>ermines, otters, badgers, and up until quite recently skunks were in this
>family too.  This is the reason each animal is further broken down in the
>naming process into genus and species.  So you see ferrets and weasels
>are not the same.  They cannot interbreed, therefore, ferrets and weasels
>have separate genus species names.

Mustelids are the weasel like family.  Ferrets are mustella furo in the
weasel genus but the ferret species.  Ermines are also called stoats or
short tailed weasels so they are definitely weasels but called mustela
erminea.  Mink are also in the mustella genus and thus in the weasel genus -
both American and European minks..

>On the same note, humans and apes are in the same family as well.  It is
>called Primates.  Would you want someone to call you an ape?  I know I
>would be offended.

I wouldn't be overly offended by someone calling me a member of the ape
family.  I might just snicker quietly to myself because they were wrong.
Humans are in the primate order along with apes, monkeys and lemurs.  But
humans are the sole member of the hominid (or man like) family.  Great
apes are family pongidae and lesser apres are family hylobatidae.  Humans
aren't apes, but we are primates.  Ferrets as well as beras, cats, and
dogs are in the carnivore order.  Taxonomically humans are as close to
"great apes" as ferrets are to tigers, but I believe we are closer
genetically.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/