Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 03:51:40 -0800
Forgive me, Alicia :)

I meant "animal shelters". I forget that on the FML shelter can be read
as one of a ferret shelter or 'people run', not government run. I meant
to indicate state run animal shelters, government-run animal shelters
(such as Ingham County Animal Control/Animal Shelter).

I know, I did run a rescue when I was in Michigan - I ate cheap cereal
while they got their surgeries, foods, etc....and when in a crunch
SOS helped with two surgeries since I asked, and they were done at a
discount due to the SOS. I paid for everything else myself during the
years I did it, including lymphoma treatment (Tufts protocol/chemo)....
several growth removals each year, etc.....

I didn't charge adoption fees but I did home checks....and just made
sure they had everything they needed instead, a few people (maybe 2?)
donated once. Other than that people would often buy carriers from me
since they never knew where to find them (Soldans!). But I didn't make
money from them.

Zoo took on two ferrets that were terminal and I could not help when I
moved, I had them for a long time before that and they just did not get
any better, to and from the vets (who thought I was crazy to bring in
ferrets almost every day). I still have to donate to Zoo for that....
(to Zoo, I am sorry.....it will be on it's way soon, I know I've said
that before).

Anyway - yeah, I messed up. :P I didn't mean ferret shelters or
personal shelters - which I call "rescues"...but I see that a lot of
people consider any place that houses animals a shelter. I am sorry
to spread confusion!

Also - I definitely understand your dismay - I had a vet manager tell
everyone there that I got paid to rescue ferrets and that it was my
full time job, which one of the receptionists told me after being
confused by my words - she was confused because I said I had to get
back to school - she's like, "Isn't this your job?" to which I was
like, "what???" and she said, that's what she was told...)

Laryssa