From:
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 22:25:22 -0800
>From:    les <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Questions from a prospective ferret owner.
>a couple of (possibly silly) questions from a prospective ferret owner: my
>wife and I are trying to decide on the `right' pet for us.

We'd say admirable not silly questions actually.  Can't help with German
contacts.  Now England or Sweden yes but not Germany (yet).

>we have a space unapproximately 150 x 80 x 60 cm. in size and I'd build
>a custom job to use this space optimally.

If my calculations are right thats about 59 x 31 x 23 inches.  Plenty of
room.

>5. The smell: every animal (including us) smells. I've heard that females
>   aren't quite so pungent. Is this true?

Once safely altered it doesn't really make too much difference.  Whole
(uncastrated males) smeel MUCH worse than other ferrets.  Ferrets have a
distinct smell.  Rather like some musk colognes though so many find it
pleasant.

>6. Is is better to start with a pair, so that they can also keep
>   themselves company?

Probably yes.  Certainly akes it much better while they aren't out roaming.

>From:    Karri Knutson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: show question
>My sister has a beautiful female ferret (not really certian of her color,
>between a black sable and a dark silver),

In those standards that use the term "silver" the ferret must have white
feet.  Black sable is not black.  In the AFA it is a sable with a white or
grey undercoat and a cool tome to the brown as opposed to a cream to yellow
undercoat with a cool tone to the sable.  In the LIFE standard I have to see
past the computer modified photos and guess that the term is for any sable
that has a dark nose and approaches the solid or self pattern.

>BUT......She some how chipped one of her incisor teath.  [...]  My
>question was: Would she be marked down in show??

(bill) I can speak only for some independant judges and the AFA system.  A
chipped canine is not penalized.  Chipped incisor?  Haven't noticed that
before.  I would probably judge it the same.  The LIFE system is based on
the independant system largely written by Vickie McKimmey so unless they've
changed it would be the same as well.  Comments on the teeth are much more
likely from tarter or staining than from chips.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]