From:
Nancy Hartman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1993 21:17:26 -0500
Subject:  Ferret List Issue 412

> Several people have had a problem getting their ferrets to eat "good"
> cat/kitten food so I thought I would pass along something that seems
> to help (with our two anyway).  We have put a squirt (or two) of ferritone
> on the food they don't want to eat.  Ours would eat rocks if it has ferritone

This might work, but remember, fat soluble vitamins build up in the
system and will become toxic.  You really shouldn't give more than
2 or 3 DROPS a day of linatone/ferretone.  The label may say to give
them a few pumps a day, but I think that they're just trying to
make money at the expense of our pets.  :(

---

> From:  [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Ferrets in Central Florida

>     We are thinking of just being an independent club instead of
> affiliating with IFA because we have not heard from George Harmon for
> months.  Has anyone heard from George Harmon?  Debbie has tried
> repeatedly for at least 2 months.  That is all for now.  If you are in
> or close to Central Florida let us know you are out there!

There was a rather major pet abuse incident involving George Harmon
about a year ago.  Unfortunately, due to technicalities he couldn't
be tried so he was never actually tried and found guilty.  But the
evidence was incriminating enough that he was forced to retire from
the IFA, so you may as well stop trying to get in touch with him.
(I don't know the specifics, so I'm not going to post anything in
a public forum.)

Due to that, and bad politics, the IFA isn't doing so hot right now.
I would suggest not starting an IFA club at this time.  If you have
IFA ties, I would suggest starting an independent club, then see
what happens within the next few years and maybe go IFA if things
work out for them.  (No, I'm not anti-IFA, it's just that all the
IFA clubs I know have gone independent recently -- not a good
sign...)

If you want to be a chapter of a large group, the AFA (American Ferret
Association) does sanction chapters.  They have a great newsletter, and
all your members would automatically be members of the AFA and all it's
chapters.  The AFA is independent, but their shows are FURO sanctioned,
not IFA.  It's also great to have a large group backing you up, they're
always there if you need information or have a problem.  If you are
interested in giving them a call, let me know and I'll give you the
names and phone numbers to call.  (my club is an AFA chapter -- I would
NEVER have done it on my own!)

I really don't know of any other group that has chapters, except on
a local level.

If you want to just chat informally about the AFA, send me e-mail or
give me a call at (215) 255-4436.  (I'll be in MD at the ferret Expo
this weekend, I should be back by Sunday)

> From:  <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Ferret breeders

> Does anyone have a list of ferret breeders in the U.S.,
> especially in the Mid West.  The only one I know about

Christine - You already have the info for your local groups, don't
you?  Just call them to find a local breeder.  If that isn't any
good drop me a line next week and I'll find my list for you.

- Nancy

Nancy Hartman                     CIS graduate student
[log in to unmask]                  U. of Delaware
        President and founder, Delaware Valley Ferret Club
          Owner of Percy, Bree, & Popcorn, the ferrets