From:
Eliza Raven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:26:08 -0500
Hello all,

We believe that Jake (approx 3-4 years old and 3 pounds at vet visit last
month) has a Urinary Tract Infection.  He has been going pee a little bit
everywhere.  We have 2 boxes, and he'll go from one to another.  At first,
we thought he was just faking it in order to get a treat.  They know they
get a treat after each litter use, and Jake has always been good at faking
it to get an extra treat.  (By the way, they just get their regular food -
a mix of 4 high quality ferret foods - as a treat.  If it comes from a
human hand, they seem to think it's a treat) We noticed tonight that his
urine is smelly and darker in color.  According to "Ferrets for Dummies,"
this sounds like a Urinary Tract Infection.  (It's a great book... a must
for every ferret owner) I think that he just starting having these
problems tonight, but...

QUESTIONS, questions, questions:
So, we need to get to the vet, right?  Do we need to schedule an emergency
visit, or anytime in the next week is fine?  Can we treat him at home in
any way?  Why did he get a Urinary Tract Infection?  Do we need to worry
about the others (4 ferrets total)?  We have Antirobe drops, an
antibiotic, leftover from another ferret (we never used it).  Can we use
that?  Should we just throw it out?

Please feel free to send your thoughts to me via email or post to the FML.
Any FHL responses need to be sent via email.

Thanks in advance!
-Eliza

Donate to a shelter today!  Donating to SOS via paypal is very easy and OH
SO rewarding.