From:
"Eliza R. Gettinger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 13:21:48 -0400
Hello All!

For someone that doesn't post that often, I certainly have a lot to share
today:

*A cake that only a ferret/cat lover could love
*My thoughts on couch proofing
*A cute story about my big boy Jake

I wish I could credit the original creator of this Halloween cake idea,
but I cannot remember where it came from.  Nonetheless, here you go...

[Moderator's note: The original may have been posted on the FML a few
months ago by Stephanie Grant (FML 3492).  Or maybe another original?
I dunno... worth looking up though.  BIG]

Litter Box Halloween Cake
Purchase a brand new litter box (any size will do) and a brand new pooper
scooper.  Bake a cake identical in size to the litter box (or just
slightly larger).  Trim off the extra so it will fit inside the box.
Depending on the depth of your box, you could make it a layer cake.  Next
is the creative part.  The icing of the cake should somewhat resemble
litter.  I would suggest a white/tan icing and use coconut, or sprinkles,
or crumbled cookies, or even pudding.  Be creative.  Next is the gross
part.  Heat 3 Tootsie rolls at a time in the microwave till they are a bit
soft and shapeable.  Shape 'em into poops!  The more the better!  You all
know what a nice poop looks like!  LOL!  Serve with a brand new scooper.
There are many variations on making a litter box cake.  Some people like
to mix the baked cake with pudding and then sprinkle crumbled cookies on
top.  Search online for others and for pictures.  Enjoy!

Proofing the undersides of your couch
If your couch legs are 5 inches or less, try using PVC.  You can get PVC
in many widths.  Cut the PVC to fit around your couch, using the corners
pieces to wrap it completely.  Now they cant get underneath.  If your
couch is high enough (or even if it isn't) you could use the wider PVC
(we use 5 inches), and leave it open at the ends so your fuzzies can go
tubing.  It's working great for our 4 darling diggers!

Cute Story
You have to visualize this one.  We have this small, little dresser.  It's
only about 12 inches wide, and maybe 3 feet tall.  Each drawer perfectly
holds a few ferret things, like treats, nail clippers, and leashes.  The
kids can only open the bottom drawer (so far!), and pull it completely
out, so there isn't anything in that drawer.  The drawer is frequently out
of the dresser and on the carpet, serving as a perfectly sized ferret bed.
Yesterday, Jake opened the bottom drawer only halfway.  As he was lying on
his back in the drawer, he was trying to pull open the drawer above him.
Well, he managed to pull the drawer he was lying in back into the dresser.
We watched the whole thing, it was hysterical!  Of course, once he is in
his cozy drawer, he can't get back out!  Oh it was the cutest!

Thanks for being there!  There aren't too many people I know that I can
recommend they serve a cake in a litter box.  LOL!

Enjoy!
-Eliza