From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 18:48:46 -0500
My apologies for being far behind on my FML reading and postings....
but wanted to share the wonderful article Marylou Zarbock wrote about
the Facebook group FACT helps manage. Hope this isn't a duplicate (my
bad BIG if it is!).

<http://www.smallanimalchannel.com/critter-news/2013/11/14/xavier-a-ferret-abroad-canine-distemper-fund.aspx>

More details about the Xavier group and it's mission for those who are
not on Facebook can be found on our (work in progress) website:

http://ferretcaninedistemperfund.weebly.com/

Essentially the group formed to help pay down an appx. $3,000 debt of
a shelter in the UK that had been hit by CD in 2011. We also recently
helped Greater Chicago with their outbreak this year with an similar
sum through an outright grant for medications/supplies and through
fund-raising auctions by our group members and supporters.

At it's core, the Xavier Fund is designed to be an emergency fund
accessible by any shelter anywhere in the world that is struck by
Canine Distemper. You can almost think of it as an emergency bank
account.

But it goes beyond that. It also is designed to provide grants to
shelters of all sizes - also anywhere in the world - to help pay for
CD vaccinations to the extent that the fund has funds in excess of our
"core" $1,000 "emergency" floor. And that after making and selling a
pile of dressed plushies we currently have again.

So now we're looking for shelters to apply for grants.

The criteria is pretty easy:

1) A shelter, rescue, hospice or halfway house. You do not have to
be a 501(c) 3 - but if you are not, we will be required to send the
payment to your vet "on account."
2) The shots have to be administered by a vet. This is because we
are initially aiming to help shelters that do not or cannot "self
vaccinate" -- if we have excess money, we will consider expanding
to self-vaccinating shelters. The more we make and raise, the more
shelters we can help.
3) Your vet has to certify they gave the shots.
4) The payment is $5 per shot (not per ferret!). So, yes, multiple
shots for a single ferret apply. The minimum grant is $25. Maximum
is $100. You can apply every 6 months.
5) You can apply going back to April 1, 2013! So, all you need to
have done is 20 shots between April 1 and Oct 1, 2013, apply and
you have a $100 grant. If you did 5 shots, you've got $25. Pretty
simple.

Details are on the page:
http://ferretcaninedistemperfund.weebly.com/benefit-programs.html

And at this point, first come, first approved, first served. The fund
is not bottomless! And for those who want to help our "mission" please
look over our little dressed stuffed ferrets! 100% of the sales goes
to the fund. All the work is donated.

Thank you for your time, and Happy Thanksgiving to all members of the
FML!

Ann Gruden
Ferret Association of Connecticut