From:
Angelique van Rijn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 1996 07:30:53 -0400
Hi Ferret-Lovers!

I'm new on this FLM, and I like to introduce myself (and my ferrets).  I'm
Angelique, me, my boyfriend Elco and our 9 ferrets (and 2 rabbits, 2 cats, 2
skunks and 1 chipmunk) live in Holland.  So sorry when I write some words
wrong, if somebody don't understand me, please tell me!!!!

Introducing my ferrets:
Mandy, 5 years young, female, neutered, the oldest girl in our house,
albino, since 3 months blind (cerebral hemorrage). Afters she became blind
she is very agressive, but we can still pet her and take care for her--we
and nobody else...

Joey, neutered boy, 3 years young, sable, white neck, knees and toes, wild,
nuts, crazy, likes it to nip our nose (softly) when we don't expect it.

Buster, dark sable, neutered, 3 weeks younger than Joey, loves his 'mommy'
very much (too much sometimes)--his 'mommy' is my boyfriend.

Beer, sable, neutered man (Beer means bear in Dutch) is 4 years and very
thick and slowly (his earlier owner used to feed him too much).  He is very
sweet to children, he loves to give everybody kisses and a hug.  It's really
a teddybear.

The age of Goofy, neutered albino-man is unknown, he is a rescue-ferret.  He
is acting like Disney's Goofy, he's a little bit dumb, so that's why we
named him so.

Marietje, 2 years old girl (not neutered yet) ferret/polecatmix (fitch),
very dark, almost black sable, pink nose, high-tempered girl, racing-ferret,
loves to play in the water, thinks she can swim -with her feet on the bottom
of her bath- She likes it to hang on our shoulders to kiss our necks.

Babetje, Juultje and Lizzy are albino rescue-ferrets, we don't know their
age.  -I guess they are 4 or 5 years old-.  They are certainly mishandeld by
their earlier owner, it took months to learn them not to bite till it
bleeds...But they are healthy and happy now.  Lizzy, Juultje and Babetje are
named to the nieces of Disney's Daisy.  What are the names in America???

I read the FLM for a couple of days and I saw a lot of things we have in
common, but also things I couldn't believe!

First of all:
WE ARE GLAD TO LIVE IN HOLLAND AND NOT IN A STATE OF AMERICA WHERE YOU HAVE
TO HIDE YOUR FERRETS BECAUSE THEY ARE AGAINST THE LAW!!!!  IT'S JUST SO
UNFAIR!

I saw a letter from somebody about ferrets and rabies.  She had to give her
ferret away, they killed the ferret, tested him for rabies and he was
negative!  Such a thing is impossible in Holland.  We are allowed to have
ferrets without any problems!  The only reason why they kill animals in
Holland is when an animal caused _serious_ damage to a human.  And most of
that animals are dogs...Serious damage is: Biting a child in the face,
attacking another dog till that dog dies, etc.  I haven't heard of any
ferret here wich died because it causes really damage to another living
creature.  Testing animals for serious diseases like rabies happens when the
animals are alive, so when it's for SURE that they have rabies, THEN a vet
eutanize such an animal.

I also followed the discussion about white-faced ferrets, are they agressive
or not??  When ferrets are agressive there is always a reason for that.  Are
they mishandeld, are they not used to human's hands, are they ill?  Are they
blind or deaf?  Is the agressive ferret a victim of inbreeding?

I don't think it has something to do with colors alone.  My albino-ferret
Mandy was very agressive when we adopted her.  She was one year old then,
she had never met any other ferret, she didn't know what toys are, she was
not used to have food nearby all the time, so she ate so much every day that
she got sick of it....

We gave her sometimes a homeopatic drink for animals, just to calm her down.
It was VSM Avena Sativa.  I don't know it's for sale in the USA.  Maybe you
all don't know what I mean.  But that drink worked out fine.  She really
calmed down a bit, it was at least possible for us to get her used to our
hands.

After 6 months when we let the vet neutered her, she became one of the
world's best ferrets!  She was sweet, she learned how to play with other
ferrets and her toys, her -too-fast-and-too-much-eating-behaviour- went to
normal.

Now she had a cerebral hemorrage and her behaviour is just like when we
adopted her.  Maybe she's living in the past?  Only we can handle her.
Another ferret (Juultje) is blind and deaf.  She reacts agressive when we
try to pick her up when she is not aware of it.  So she scares and bites!
When she knows we are nearby (she has a fine-working nose) there is no
problem.

Try to figure out what happend with a ferret before telling everybody it's
the color!  That's my opinion.

There are much more differences and agreements between ferrets in America
and ferrets in Holland.  If you like it you all can question me about having
ferrets in Holland in this FLM or by private mail.

PS: Am I really the only Dutch person in this list??

Hugs and kisses from my ferrets to all yours,

Angelique and her 'zoo'.

[Moderator's note: Nope, there are other Dutch people on the list.  BIG]