From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 15:12:42 -0400
Apparently, I forgot to send the post at the bottom the other day.  What
can I say?  I am very busy.  Anyway, I might as well add a few points:

Because the cystine stone study at U.C. Davis is also looking several
aspects of ferret genetics that may help to find out if genetics plays a
role in endocrinological illnesses in ferrets.  There are some genetic
variations such as MEN (multiple endocrinological neoplasia) genetics
which are known from other species, as well as others to be considered.
Insulinoma and diabetes (as well as adrenal disease and some others)
are endocrinological diseases.  The folks who bought that ferret health
insurance which does not cover endocrinological illnesses already learned
that, sadly.  Yes, genetics can possibly play a role in regions.

Extra Brewers Yeast is useful when there is diabetes, but amounts beyond
those found in foods should be avoided if insulinoma is present.

Here are some of the insulin and diabetes ferrets posts:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG6592
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG15992
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG15191
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG13321
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG9003
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7264
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/browse.php?msg=SG7239
and there are others.

Here is the post I forgot to send

Diabetes in ferrets:
Insulin and Lupron are primary meds used.  Check the archives in case I
forgot any med.  I would not be surprised if in the areas which have
deslorelin/Suprelorin (experimental uses in some countries and approved
uses in others) that it MIGHT serve the same function as Lupron in such
cases, but I have not read of that having been studied yet.

I apologize because off hand I ccan not recall which insulin type works
best in ferrets but that is in the vet posts in the FML and FHL Archives;
there is a difference in performance among the types.  In the FML
Archives look for "from FHL" posts as well as insulin and in the FHL
Archives look for insulin.

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org