From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 1995 18:52:02 -0400
Our shelter works closely with a humane society shelter in a neighboring FFZ.
A couple of weeks ago, I drove over to our meeting ground to pick up what
was described as a "severe abuse case".  I was presented with a little female
albino.  "Lucky" as the humane society named her, was blind in both eyes and
was missing one rear leg.  The driver told us that she had been treated for
severe ear-mite infestation and bathed several times to get some of the dirt
out of her fur, but "she's a sweetheart."

Truer words were never spoken.  Lucky loved to be held and rewarded anyone
lucky enough to pick her up with lots of ferret kisses.  At our shelter she
walked around so well that you'd never notice she was missing a rear leg, and
except for occasionally running into things, she got around fairly well.

Late last week we finally found someone who we thought deserved a great
ferret like Lucky.  The woman had two ferrets already, one which came from
our shelter earlier.  Lucky went home with them.

Today she called to tell us how Lucky was doing.  Her ferrets apparently
realized that Lucky was blind, and have decided that it is their
responsibilty to take care of her.  When they go anywhere one of them always
goes in front of Lucky and one behind.  Lucky follows the first by his scent.
If she gets confused with crossed ferret paths, the one behind gently nudges
Lucky in the right direction.  In this way they have shown her all around the
house; where the litterboxes are, where the food and water dishes are; where
the toys are kept; and even the best route up on the couch.  Whenever they
walk you always see the three ferrets, all in a line.  When they sleep, one
lies on her left and one on her right.

It always amazes me how compasionate and intelligent these ferrets can be.
Some humans I know could take a lesson from them.

I think that Lucky finally lived up to her name.

Dick B.