From:
Gary Holowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 22:59:23 -0800
.95/9/6

    Report to the members of the Society for the Protection & Conservation
of the Black Footed Ferret, Inc.  (SPCBFF).

    Dear Members;

    Your humble president begins with a sincere apology for those still
waiting for membership cards.  We are mailing them out as soon as possib le.
We thank all our new members and ardently urge all with an interest in
playing an active role in the future of the Black Footed Ferret (BFF), both
young, releasable kits, and captive adults, to make your concern known by
joining the SPCBFF.  Simply send a stamped, self addressed envelope (SASE)
for a free membership card.  Out strength is in the numbers and high caliber
of our membership.

    Two members of your board of directors attended the third meeting of the
year of the BFF management group on July 16, 1995, in Big Sky, Montana.

    It was our purpose to make our continuing influence felt both as a
protective group for the older BFF's we recently snatched form a misguided
release, and as a supportive force in the continuing effort to reestablish
the BFF in the wild.

    We were received with apprehension, but by the time the afternoon
session had concluded, it appeared that our supportive role was welcomed and
respected.

    Members at the meeting included chair person Dr.  Paul Gertler, Asst.
regional director / ecological services for the US.  Fish & Wildlife service
(USFWS), representatives of the US.  Forest Service, The Bureau of Land
Management, the National Fish & Wildlife Service, The National Biological
Service (NBS), The American Zoo & Aquarium Association (AZA), as well as the
states of Arizona, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah, and the
local press.  Of particular importance was the attendance of Aaron L.
Clark, president of PIC Technologies, Inc.  of Denver, Colorado.  Mr.
Clark, an advocate of BFF recovery whose corporation has rescued the Wyoming
BFF breeding facility at Sybille from closing its doors this year by a
donation of $50,000, is actively pursuing a key role in privatizing the
captive breeding and pre-conditioning of BFF's (Ferret Ed.  101), and is
investigating the construction of a BFF breeding facility in Mexico.  The
Mexican population of prarie dogs remains relatively untouched, whereas the
US.  has successfully decimated 98% of the critical BFF prey species,
leaving few viable release sites for the BFF in its' native country.

    The BFF recovery effort is in crisis, if not chaos.  The arbitrary plan
to release (I.E. destroy) nearly one quarter of the existing population of
the rare BFF's through the dumping of older adult ferrets in South Dakota -
The disaster which has brought us together - is an indication of the extent
of the financial and ethical confusion within the program, if not the entire
USFWS.  It may also be remembered that following the release and tragic
demise of 14 hapless ferrets, it was Paul Gertler who represented the USFWS
by declaring the "experiment" useful, expressing both a lack of remorse and
a flagrant disdain for the appeals of caring citizen - taxpayers.  Mr.
Gertler is author of several books and articles regarding the ethical
treatment of wild animals in captivity.  It is unclear what his position
might really be, in light of recent events!

    The accomplishments of the recent meeting are typically brief:
Encouraging is the general acceptance of the value of breeding and raising
BFF's in an outdoor environment which attempts to represent a native
habitat.  The AZA presented a detailed proposal to invite captive breeding
professionals, not involved in BFF recovery, to analyze the current BFF
program and the many new theories of breeding and conditioning now underway,
to determine in their opinion, the most productive way to restructure the
BFF recovery program.  Statistics presented in regard to the young BFF kits,
those whelped and educated in outdoor "arenas" at the NBS research facility
at Pueblo, Colorado, substantiate in startling results, theories that these
methods should be employed at all breeding facilities.  Some 40% of the
Pueblo ferrets released in Montana in the Autumn of 1994 survived past 30
days.  Two females were identified with wild - born litters this spring.
Two members of your board of directors, Carolyn Kinsey and Andy Abate, who
sacrificed their Pueblo jobs to the controversy surrounding the release of
the older BFF's, bred and conditioned these thriving kits.  Results from
years of out - of - cage releases are vague, but are unprovable even at 1% -
2% survival rate.  It will be months before the results of the AZA proposal
are received and implemented, but the clamoring for this years' production
of kits from Pueblo is a good indication of the general trend.

    It was evident that all attendees were eager and receptive to the idea
of private funding to support diminishing State and Federal financial
support for the BFF recovery program.  We are all determined that the
recovery effort continue and there is now enormous optimism that new
theories, developed at Pueblo, may result in an astoundingly successful
future for the BFF.  In your support and continuing interest in what happens
to this most rare and precious mammal, you have shown a willingness to see
this adventure though.  If you wish to do more, the opportunity is open.
You may approach your employer, whoever large or small, to provide financial
support.  With %50,000, one small corporation single - handedly kept the
Wyoming facility in operation.  Letters of intent to donate may be sent to
the SPCBFF head - quarters and will be routed accordingly.  We will also
provide written details of the program or send a personal representative to
present the history of the recovery effort and its potential, documented on
videotape.  Your personal questions will be answered whether received by
mail or phone (E-mail facilities are being set up for the future, also).

    The Living Care Center, a refuge for all unreleasable BFF's - including
those which should not be released, is being re-proposed in extensive
detail.  It now includes a number of proposed companion studies in
nutrition, geriatrics, medicine and behavior, as well as a veterinary
student externship.  An adjacent facility to study and preserve the now
endangered Black - Tailed Prarie Dog is also being proposed.  This will be a
beautiful, useful and comfortable facility, worthy of its' noble BFF
residents, and we hope for speedy approval by the USFWS.  If you wish to
encourage its approval, write or fax:

Paul Gertler, Asst. Regional Director / Ecological Services,
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service,
Region Office, Region 6 (mailstop 60120)
Box 25486, Denver Federal Center, Denver, Co. 80225
Ph 303-236-8189;  Fax 303-236-0027

Ralph Morgenweck, Regional Director, USFWS
Region Office, Region 6  (mail stop 60120)
Box 25486, Denver Federal Center, Denver, Co. 80225
ph303-236-7904;  Fax303-236-3815

Michael Hutchins, Director of Conversation and Science,
American Zoo and Aquarium Association,
Executive Office / Conversation center
7970-D Old Georgetown Road
Bethesda, Md. 20814
ph 301-907-7777;  Fax 301-907-2890
e-mail [log in to unmask]

    The society values your continuing support and participation.  We will,
as a group, continue to grow as an influence in the humane treatment of the
Black - Footed ferret, and as a vehicle of support for the BFF recovery
effort.

        Sincerely, Carolyn R. Kinsey, VT.
                          President, SPCBFF