From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 07:54:06 -0400
Lynn,

I thought you had a response by now.  Obviously not so I'll try to answer
your questions.

If it is a Marshall Farm ferret, it has had one distemper vaccination
shortly before leaving the farm (8 weeks).  Most stores do not keep up on
their vaccinations.  They need another distemper vaccination at about 12
weeks and one more at 16 weeks; then annually after that.  If they've not
had any shots but the 8 week one, and it has been a considerable time since
that one, a two shot series, 4 weeks apart has been recommended.

A rabies vaccination at 14 weeks is a good idea.  Put at least 2 weeks
between any distemper and the rabies vaccinations.

I'd highly recommend the rabies vaccination if for no other reason, should
the ferret nip or even scratch someone, you might talk your way out of
having it taken and killed for a rabies test.  In the US, only NH has a
state law granting vaccinated ferrets a quarantine period.  The rest of the
state leaves that up to local officials, who will nearly always kill and
test.  If you have the vaccination record, you might be able convince the
"victim" not to pursue the issue with Public Health.  Once Public Health
gets it, the ferret will very likely be killed.

The first US ferret rabies shedding study will be published at the end of
this month, from a conference in (I believe) Reno, NV.  If the results show,
as did the European studies, that ferrets don't shed the rabies virus, then
we may be able to get more states to adopt a quarantine law, or maybe even
not require vaccinations or quarantine.  I'll guarantee that Public Health
will demand that we wait until all strains have been studied and the studies
repeated over and over and over, so don't hold your breath.  Vaccinate.

Dick B.