From:
mellisad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2002 01:31:47 -0500
I want to thank everyone that replied, sent cards, wrote Pet Supermarket,
and offered so much encouragement.  My husband and I deeply appreciate
everything you all have done!  Hope is doing fantastic, she has such a
playful side!  She is such a talker - this baby just chatters for
attention.  She is into everything, and finally acting like a ferret!

The humane society raid of the Trussville Pet Supermarket found the
remaining ferrets to be under veterinary care.  However, the humane
society investigator found their kittens with mattered over, crusted
eyes.  Most could not fully open their eyes and seemed to be "hunched
over." Some could not open their eyes at all.  Their kittens were removed
to a veterinary hospital, and thus diagnosed with conjunctivitis.

The humane society and sheriff's office has closed their investigation,
as the pet store agreed to comply with the found violations.  Since then,
the pet store is proud to announce ALL animal cruelty cases are closed.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

The animal cruelty case concerning Hope is still open.  Since I am Hope's
owner, the case is a civil matter.  The law against animal cruelty is
specific, yet it is unknown how to prosecute a pet store and not an
individual.  I have no intention to arrest and prosecute innocent
individuals, mainly other employees in the store that were prohibited
from seeking medical help for Hope by store management and higher up
corporate employees that had no idea of the situation.  I am seeking to
prosecute the decision maker(s) that prohibited medical treatment.

Not only is the pet store claiming all charges were dropped (NOT MINE!)
They are claiming ignorance as an excuse.  According to their excuse, they
were unable to distinguish between a severely malnourished/dehydrated
ferret, and a healthy ferret.  According to them, they were unaware of
Hope's condition - even though I pointed it out to them on TWO separate
visits on the same day?  Please!  Nice excuse.

I am even more appalled after returning to the veterinary hospital today.
Their clinic has seen numerous sick ferrets over the last few weeks, all
newly purchased, but not all from the same pet store.  According to their
clients that bought ferrets from the Trussville Pet Supermarket, the store
is telling customers their animal's lethargy was due to "sedation from
shipment." This infuriates me, as the store sold sick animals (knowingly)
and offered customers an excuse as to the ferret's health condition.
Great business ethic.  Thankfully, several individuals recognized a
problem and had their ferrets treated.

What more can I say?

On a brighter note, here is a picture taken just tonight of Hope.
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hopebetter.html

Imagine what a difference a little vet care an some FOOD can make.  This
link is not posted an our webpage, due to ongoing legal battles.

Thank you all!

Mellisa

For full story, visit http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html

http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html