From:
Mellisa Eberle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 22:36:34 -0500
[2-part post, combined]

Although not one recipient of this mailing list wrote a negative remark
against me purchasing Hope, I want to comment about the issue of buying
"less than healthy" ferrets from pet stores.  Hope was an extreme case.
I have read many of our members have been negatively judged for
purchasing "rescues" from pet stores.  I can fully appreciate the intent
is not to put more money in the hands of individuals that have such
little concern for animals.

Please let me offer a different point of view, the point of view of a
"profit." Say there is an ill (or too young, or any situation you may
choose) ferret in the possession of a pet store.  The pet store has a
responsibly to provide adequate care to the animal.  The bottom line in
the equation is to 1) blame the supplier, 2) take responsibility and get
the animal needed medical care, or 3) use the loss as a tax write off.
Despite the fact if you spend money or not, the animal is paid for -
either in your money or a business loss.

While I cannot speak for others, I do know that when I saw Hope in the
pet store, my heart broke.  I am sure many others felt the same way when
faced with the same decisions.  On the first visit to the store, I walked
out simply because I resented placing the first penny toward their profit
margin.

I sat at work trying to rationalize the situation.  I did not want
another ferret - two was plenty.  I knew vet costs were inevitable, if
the ferret would even survive.  I worried about what illnesses the ferret
could bring home to my others.  I thought that surely, someone in that
pet store would obtain help after her condition was pointed out.  When I
saw her condition on the second visit, I bought her.  More than anything,
I resented placing a profit toward the pet store for such abuse and
neglect of an animal.  My deciding factor was easy; I knew Hope would
die without intervention.  For others, that choice may not be as clear
as life or death.

Unfortunately, some pet stores are all about the bottom line, how much
money can they make off an animal.  If the animal is possibly too
expensive to treat, the pet store lets the poor soul die.  To a greedy
store, is it worth the cost to treat the animal to get it healthy?  Will
someone buy the animal for the profit margin in the current condition
(and the risk of infecting existing household pets)?  Can the animal be
considered a business loss if it expires?

Yes, the pet stores make a profit if you purchase a ferret in a "less
than healthy condition."  Such stores cash in when nothing else is said
about your purchase.  Please don't just give such stores your money for a
lack of care.  Get your local agencies involved.  Take pictures.  Get vet
statements.  File a police report.  Contact law enforcement, your local
humane society, animal control, rescue groups, local media, the supplier,
or anyone that will listen.  Don't hand such stores a profit.

Yes, I paid close to 200.00 immediately out of my pocket for Hope's
expenses.  (I was refunded the entire amount by the supplier).  The pet
store was heavily fined, not to mention the vet bill they incurred
getting every single animal there examined by a vet, and their kittens
were removed due to illness.  Yes, they gained my 118.00.  Their profit
does not put a dent in what the store paid out in care of their animals
(they probably had 50 - 75 animals under their care that received vet
examinations).

No matter what anybody says, money will not play with you, it will not
make you laugh, money does not make you a better person.  Pets do all of
that and more.  Neither of us have ever come home form work with money
sitting inside the door chattering, just because it loves being with
either of us.  My husband and I gained a companion - a complete
sweetheart.  Hope is a blessing.  I am so very thankful - she made such
an impact on our lives.  She won our hearts.  Even though we had read
about countless situations such as this, neither of us would have
believed we would be faced with such a decision.  I cannot begin to
explain how rewarding this whole ordeal has been.

I am proud to say that Hope was a pet store rescues.  Yes, the pet
store gained my 118.00.  They also gained a community's outrage, law
enforcement and humane society scrutiny (that store will be watched),
public outcry (many letters went to corporate from members of this
mailing list), involvement from PETA, and lastly - the most damaging
impact - the hundreds of dollars of fines and vet fees the pet store
had to deduct from THEIR money.

Sure, I could have walked away and saved myself the hassle, not placing
a penny in the profit of the pet store.  The store would have probably
scraped up her carcass and sold the rest of her cagemates (with Influenza
and ear mites) toward their profit.  What about other existing ferrets in
a household exposed?  What about the remaining ferrets?

My vet explained 3 instances of "new" ferret owners that were discouraged
from seeking veterinary help for their animals, as the pet store claimed
the individuals should bring them back in to the pet store to trade - the
ferrets were "lethargic from shipment sedation."  Two of those three
ferrets were beyond saving and died.  The whole lie of "sedation" was
uncovered, and met with much hostility.  Thankfully, all remaining
ferrets in the Pet Supermarket were quarantined and treated.

Sure, I could have chose not to buy Hope.  She would have died - nothing
more said.  The pet store would have wrote her off as a loss.  The
untreated ferrets may have either ended up in a similiar condition,
possibly infecting others, if not dead.

I disagree with not purchasing "rescues" from pet stores.  Hope had
no chance at life otherwise.  Yet I feel stongly - hold the PET STORE
RESPONSIBLE.  I did not give the store my money and keep quiet.  I cost
the pet store hundreds of dollars - and the scrutiny of the community.
I would advise others to do the same, if placed in such a situation.

Mellisa and Rob Eberle  (Cid, Boo, and Hope)
http://www.robandmellisa.com/hope.html