From:
Dawn Pedchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:20:49 -0500
Hi all,

This week we had an accidental meeting between Loki, my 4 year old fuzzy
and our dogs.  With the exception of our 11 year old husky (only sometimes
& with supervision),the ferrets (4) & dogs (3) are never allowed to
co-mingle.  If the dogs are outside, the 4 furballs get the run of most of
the house.  If the dogs are in, furballs only get to run loose in "their"
room.  The dogs do know the ferrets because they are allowed in "Loki's
room" when everyone is safely caged.  They look, sniff, and alert us to
any tussles in the cages.

Anyway, late Monday night - Loki managed to get out of her cage, room and
wandered under the locked child gate into the kitchen.  The dogs - who
sleep in our bedroom off the kitchen - found her.  My husband woke up at
the first screech and called the dogs to him.

I found Loki in our back hallway.  Both of us very traumatized.  The dogs
had no idea what they had done wrong.  Actually, I'm not sure if they
even picked her up - they could very well have stepped on her.  (Dogs in
question are a 35 lb. 2 yr. Aus. Shep. & 75 lb. 4 yr. Am. Bulldog. -
Husky didn't leave our bedroom)

Loki is now at vets.  X-rays showed damage to her lungs only.  Vet couldn't
tell from x-rays if she was shook or crushed.  She's been breathing on her
own since this happened.  She's alert, responds to her name, moves around
to get comfortable, color is good, breathing is somewhat labored.  She's
up on all shots, pretty good weight and overall healthy.

My question is - can she recover?  Has anyone had experience with a furball
recovering from lung damage?  My vet isn't too hopeful - but then again
she didn't say it was hopeless either... Am I clinging to a miracle of her
coming home?  She is my first ever fuzzball and I've had her since she was
8 weeks old.  She was a christmas present from my husband.

At present, my daughters think she had a cold and had to visit the doctors.
Don't want them to mutiny against the dogs.  Last night, Bootes - Loki's
guy, and the other two ran all around the room looking for her.  Kept going
into the carrier and moving it around because they could smell her on the
towel.  Made me more depressed.  Now I keep the door to the ferret room
closed at all times.  Sorry to ramble on.

Praying for a miracle,

Dawn, the 3 lonely bachelors - Bootes, Zipper, Tritan,
and the family - missing Loki.