From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:24:08 -0500
Karen wrote:
>So is the smell (or lack thereof) diagnostic?  If there is a smell, it's
>not ECE, but if there isn't a smell it is (or may be) ECE?

Boy, it would be nice if it were that easy.  Our guys had very necrotic
smelling stools, but having had it in all at once back then don't know
which ones had the worst stools: one got secondary colitis, one got
secondary ulcers with projectile vomiting of blood, one had a secondary
bacterial infection.  Two had very bad permanent intestinal damage (so
maybe the odor was just the sloughing of destroyed cells).  One had kidney
damage result despite daily rehydrating.  I have no idea what causes that
smell and wonder if knowing that maybe useful for others who haven't been
there (yet...).