From:
William Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:03:46 -0400
Hi All,

Condolences to those who have "Rainbow Runner" ferrets.

When we started with ferrets we only had one, Salem.  He and Pyewacket
got along great from the beginning (Pye is male).  We decided to add one
more and went to visit Ferret Business of GA.  Juliana was great.  We
brought Salem with us to pick out a friend.  Notice I said A friend.  So
home came Scramble Bandit (male) and Faye (female).  Well as it got time
to leave we were gathering folks up.  We put Faye and Bandit and Salem in
the carrier to go home.  We were standing talking and all at once this
piercing skreaching was coming from the carrier.  We dashed over thinking
somebody was being killed.  We opened and looked in and what did we see?
Faye (1.5lbs.) had Salem (3.5 lbs.) pinned down screaming her lungs out
at him.  He was on his back like, "what's up with you?" Later we took all
three back to visit.  This was after the Dunwoody petstore incident where
they had the 3 big ferrets being kept in too small a quarters.
Thankfully that turned out well.  But since we had decided to adopt 1 of
them, again notice I said ONE, we decided to go ahead and get another
from the shelter.  So home comes Bowser and Bailey (you would think that
counting to one would be easier than this wouldn't you?:) Bowser is
Salem's size and Bailey although a Champagne like Salem, only weight
about 1.5 lbs.  He's my lean boy.  I've noticed that the others are a
little more gentle with him (he's almost 4 now) but he keeps up with the
best of them.  So I have 4 boys and 1 girl in the business.  Guess who
still rules the roost?  You got it, Faye.  She is a deaf white DEW.  They
will all be out playing and wrestling and here will come that screeching
and yelling and I'll go to see what going on and its Faye with one of the
big boys pinned down screaming at him!  Imagine.  This tiny white furball
screaming like a Bachee at this 4 lb (now) fert she has pinned on his
back.  And don't even try and challenge her in the tubes!  She will back
a 4 ferret clog out in a heartbeat.  Some may remember the story of Faye
right after Bowser and Bailey came home.  Faye has a sleepy sack in the
cage that is HER sleepy sack.  She was taking an afternoon beauty nap
when Bowser climbed up on the level where she was.  He decided to explore
the sleepy sack.  I'm sitting by the cage as its next to the computer
doing some work.  Bowser sticks his head in.  Then squirms a little more
and a little more until just his bum is sticking straight up in the air.
This is when he encounters the wereferret from hell!  Faye started
screeching and screaming and poor Bowser started back peddling.  His back
feet frailing in the air trying to get out of the sack.  He finally
managed to get loose and plopped straight on his butt.  Sitting there
stunned all at once out came this white head still teeth beared and
screaming up a storm.  Poor Bowser dove head first down the tube to the
second level hitting head first and made a beeline out of the cage and
under the bookcase.  I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life.
Then Faye looks at me, gives another little bark like, "Can't a girl get
any sleep around here without being molested by these males?!?" Popped
her head back in and back to sleep.

So I guess in our case the girls rule.  Even if there is just one.

Regards,
Hawk & Patrick,
Salem, Faye, Bandit, Bowser and Bailey the ferts
Pyewacket the cat
and Smokey the African Grey
and introducing Azriel the grey haired, green eyed kitten.
Blessings to all animals great and small and those of us who love and
adore them.